Alcoholic dad

First time using Heartsupport, if not doing this right, sorry in advance. Btw imma bout to trauma dump, sorry again

I need convincing if I should actually go to therapy with my father. For some context, he’s a drug addict, alcoholic, mentally abusive towards me and my little brother, and practically had me raise his two other kids (one boy and one girl) when it was his days. When he and my mother got divorced, I was about seven or eight. He was a mess and threw himself into work. When he wasn’t working, he was telling us that our mother had left us, and he didn’t know when she was coming back (he kicked her out and she was trying to find a place to live). We believed it; we were children. So, since mom was nowhere to be found for a few weeks, I was the one who made all the meals, cleaned, got my siblings up and ready for school, and helped with homework. Not my dad. When we did end up going to our mom’s house, fifty-fifty schedule, she was wonderful and did everything she was supposed to. But I was still raising her children fifty percent of the time. Then we moved, and dad went to rehab. He had gotten addicted to laughing gas and had lost complete control in the lower half of his body. He was there for months and every time I called him he would just tell me about his “hot (MARRIED) physical therapist”. I thought he was going to die. Then he’s fine and just continues like nothing happened. Then he proceeds to get addicted to vapes and alcohol and yell at me all the freaking time. He literally caused me to have frequent panic attacks to the point where I had to go to therapy for a year. All of that hurt is just making me really angry. Should I go to to therapy with him? Because it seems like a should, but I’m just so angry. I cry when i’m really frustrated and the last thing I want is to give him the satisfaction of seeing me cry.

2 Likes

Warmest welcome to heart support, thank you for giving us your time and for being vulnerable about such a hard experience and decision.

Having someone in your life struggle with addiction is something that becomes so daunting and draining. Especially if it’s a parent or a caregiver, it feels like they’re constantly sacrificing your worth and the time and love you deserve to give to this unhealthy thing that’s just temporarily filing a void.

You’ve been forced to grow up far too early. You undeservingly witnessed a parent become dependant on substances and neglect you and your siblings forcing you to become the one having to give care to children when you yourself were a child. And then you go visit your mother who sounds like she was trying her best to land on her feet and probably had good intentions leaving you with the parent who was “stable”.

So the anger you feel, I can understand. You feel like screaming “grow the fuck up and be who I need you to be”.
I’ve witnessed family go through similar situations and I’ve seen the destruction it has left in their lives. The one thing that really stands out to me in those situations is that, therapy and rehabilitation can do absolute wonders, but the parties have to be willing participants. It’s a really hard thing to watch because we can work ourselves towards betterment and healing, but we can’t force someone else to.

If he is going to be a willing participant it could be a beneficial opportunity to have a third party to stand by to help you draw those boundaries and to support you for what you need to say and have heard. They also cannot force him to listen and respect the process, but they can provide a safer space for you to express your hurt and anger.

1 Like