Am I destined to be a side dude?

Hey y’all, things have gotten a little rough for me, recently. My brother is super overprotective and his delivery of what I have to do, comes off as controlling. The last time I talked to him about being less harsh, he said get thicker skin. I know he means well so I don’t wanna cut him out. Now the girl I’m talking to, who is literally do anything for, is sending mixed signals. She has a coworker who’s a marine, and they clown each other and stuff in person and over text. Because of my abusive ex’s, I get in my head a lot about if she has feelings for him. I’ve asked her and she says she doesn’t know. When we hung out Monday, she made a comment “idk what he and I are” and I feel if I push having a conversation about it, my insecurities will push her away, because it can come off as not trusting. I also feel if I don’t, then I’m a worthless pansy that won’t ever stick up for myself. The one good thing, I have in my favor, is she sends me screenshots randomly of her making fun of him. Her coworkers all say he’s into her and shit. All I ever asked was to let me know if someone else made her happy, because I’d support it 100% because all I want is her to be happy. The icing on the cake, is my coworker last Friday, told me I was worthless at my job, no one liked working with me, and if I actually cared about the place, I’d quit. I guess I’m just an unlovable, piece of trash, side piece. Maybe my abusive step mom was right, that I’d never be worth shit or amount to anything.

You’re not worthless. Life is really thought and sometimes down right cruel, but never believe that you are worthless. I can already tell you have a big heart and some is going to be lucky to have you wether you believe it or not. It sounds to me that they have feelings for each other, but the only way to know is to be open and honest with her. Let her know that you want her to be happy with or without you. Focus in yourself and make yourself happy. The only person who really has your back is you. The right person is out there but you cant force someone to love you trust me. And you shouldn’t want someone’s attention if you have to beg for it, I’m learning that lesson now. I hope I helped a little. And if not I’m sorry for bothering you.good luck :black_heart:

1 Like

It’s never a bother to read a reply on here. I’ve told her, before that I want her to be happy, just be up front with me about it. I do wonder if the marine wasn’t leaving to go to another barracks in another state, what would happen. I’m trying my best to hold out and wait for him to leave in a week or so, and see what happens with us. She did just get me avengers as an early Christmas present as well, so it’s also possible I’m reading to far into this. Alas, I got sidetracked. Sorry. Thank you for your kind words. Sometimes I just need that reassurance that I’m not a failure, and that I’m good where I’m at. Thank you for that.

1 Like

It is possible lol we all overthink alot of the time. I hope things work out for you, wether it be with her or someone else. Time will tell, just don’t settle that’ll ruin your life more than anything.

1 Like

Anyone who tells someone else that they need thicker skin is lazy, foolish, and somewhat stupid. They are trying to say “I am too lazy to change, so you should change.” What they actually say is “I do not care about what or how you feel, and I think that you should change to conform to my needs.” Which is the same thing, really.

If you are a side piece, are you getting paid? A superhero sidekick watches, learns, helps, and gets lots of cool things. In any relationship the person who can help in a certain way, does. Many different people who can do many different things and each of them contributes in their own way make a family. I get the feeling that you and your brother are not like this.

Abusive stepmothers are abusive and abusive people cannot be trusted in what they abusively say. This includes you. And that co-worker —who should be quietly reported to their boss because that was incredibly mean and designed to be hurtful (it does not matter if they get punished. Consistent, quiet reports of abuse curbs the abuse… after they seek retribution. I think that two bad weeks are better than something that never goes away.)

1 Like

Hey Friend!

So much of this resonates with me

And i hope you know that

Also, remember that youre the main character in your story. Everyone else is a supporting role to your adventure.

Here is what we had to say on your complex topic

2 Likes

Thank you for this. I will add that I am in therapy and working on the stuff with my ex’s and stepmother. As for finding a new job, I’m starting to think about it, because the restaurant is a crazy business hour wise, and it’s jacked up my sleep and eating schedule. I’ve also come to realize, since the marine is leaving town soon, and she doesn’t know if they’ll even talk once he leaves, that it’s my insecurities overwhelming myself. I’ve decided to wait on talking to her, to see how things go. Also I will say I fall hard and fast, so after a year of us talking and not even dating, I told her I was falling in love with her, mainly due to how super supportive she is. I’m gonna set boundaries with my brother this weekend, and I’ll keep you all posted on how that goes. Thank you for this, I appreciate it a lot. Also thanks to everyone that’s responded.