Am I told old for the scene

I’ve always loved the metal scene. Growing up I went through several phases punk, emo, goth etc. These days my wardrobe is a little less black but my love for the music is still there. Also (most of) the community is still what I’m drawn too and identify with. The messages of hope and connection with other people who are struggling with things in their lives and mental illness help me deal with my ADHD and borderline personality disorder. But here’s where my question comes in. I still LOVE going to shows. The energy of the room is part therapy and part religious experience. To get together with a couple hundred people and forget about the outside world for a few hours. I’ve been to a couple this year like Knocked Loose and Miss May I. And I’m set to see Wage War tonight. I usually go to shows alone and I’m alright. But something happened at the MMI show. I started to feel weird and uncomfortable. Then some random person said something about how old I look and about being someone’s dad, which I’m not. I just turned 29 less than a week ago. So it made me more tense and uncomfortable. It got me thinking, maybe I am too old to be here. Maybe I’m too old to listen to this kind of music. Maybe I should’ve left the music and shows and community back in high school. I don’t even feel like going tonight.

1 Like

Hey brother! I actually answered your post live on my stream the other day. I’m sorry that I’m a bit late in getting this to you, I hope you had a blast at the show!! Here’s a link… The first part is me reading your post, so if you skip to 1:45, that’ll take you right to my response:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/493778574

Stay strong, brother. Don’t ever let anyone dim your light! Please let me know how the show was!

1 Like

Hey there. Don’t feel down! I am 27 and I still go to metal concerts, even alone (by the way, Wage War is pretty sick! Although I didn’t get to see them live yet so if you did, I am a little envious haha). Don’t take to heart what other people say. When I go to concerts, I see quite a few people who are much older than me, which surprises me but hey, we’re all there to listen to some good music! Try to shrug it off and just remember why you’re there: to have some fun and to rock out :metal:

There were times when I didn’t feel like going to a metal concert because I wasn’t feeling too well internally, but I mustered up the energy to go and never regretted it! I totally understand the feeling you get when going to a metal concert, it’s a experience that you can’t entirely explain but you just feel it.

Anyways, keep your head up and know that majority of metal fans are not like that. Keep going to those metal concerts my dude!

Hey pal,
I’m 30 and I’m still hardcore into listening and writing music. I feel weird sometimes like it is a young man’s game but then I remember that a lot of guys who are playing this music are 30-50+. Bring Me the Horizon, Metallica, August Burns Red, White Chapel, Alesana, PARKWAY drive, Avenged Sevenfold, Memphis May Fire. Age is relative. The kids surrounding you will soon find themselves 30+ just like the ones who were older than you when you were banging around shows as a young kid. Keep rockin dude!

Hey my friend

Don’t be discouraged by what others say to you. Its great that you’re still enjoying music and going to live shows. Lots of people are going to say what they say usually because they see something they like, and are too afraid to show support towards it. Or they see something they once were and will shame it because of their own inability to show emotions.

I am 31 and I just attended an August Burns Red show in July. I saw them on thweir first runthrough of Constellations. It was amazing. I am also sober for 6 months, and beer and weed was being passed and splashed all over me, but I didnt fret. I was even in all nike and jordan gear to boot! What im trying to say is, dont sweat the small stuff brother.

You are loved, and thats all that matters. Theres more than just one person out there and a whole world and metal community that will support you.

Much love from Vancouver BC canada.

1 Like