Another contest

So I may or may not have impulsively gotten myself into another contest. I mean, I’m still waiting for the results of the first one, and I’ve got some time left until the winter break. So why don’t I spend some of that free time stressing over a project that I’m obligated to send to someone else for a contest?

But this one is slightly different. It’s actually from an international project from Sweden, if I remember correctly. It’s currently in the national phase in my country. I heard about it when my English teacher was busy with work and a different teacher came to replace them for yesterday. They explain in more detail about the essentials of the contest, and me and a few other classmates decided to join in.

The theme of this year is “unfold the universe”; essentially, our interpretation of the cosmic space and our planet’s importance. And I decided to choose the power-point section, with a slide count of 10-15. And I’m already starting to form some ideas too (Thinking of including subtle themes of astrophobia, or something similar to that.)

Now that I’ve gained some experience from the first contest, I know have an idea about the flow of things. The main issue comes from the fact that I have to use PowerPoint. Even though I’ve almost never used the program until now, it means that not only is it a second chance to develop my confidence, but also a learning experience on how to be more ‘professional’.

Either way, I’ll be back on the roller-coaster that is artist’s anxiety, As I try to juggle both school work, grades, the contest and my personal free time. Hope it won’t be as nerve-wracking, though the chances of that are low.

4 Likes

Winning is certainly a wonderful thing, but whether you win or not, the experience will benefit you a lot. As you mentioned, it’s a contest, in other words, a game. If you can think of it that way, it’s more likely that you can focus on your creativity, rather than lose focus because you are stressing about it.

Consider also, if it comes to a choice, which is the greater “win,” school success, getting the best possible grades, which will serve you for the rest of your life, or winning this particular contest?

Maybe you can optimize your school time, and still have time enough to focus on the contest, but if the contest is really nerve-racking, how does it benefit you? Think of it as a game that you enjoy, whether or not you win. If you really enjoy the process, even without a prize, you really can’t lose.