Anxiety, Depression, Halluciations, oh my

Took my teen for an assessment for IOP today (2nd time in the program) only to find out things we didn’t know before. Already knew of the struggle with anxiety, depression and si now we learn of hearing voices and seeing things and an eating disorder. Feeling so broken for this child. Pushing for PHP because IOP doesn’t seem like enough. My heart is breaking for this kid and knowing I can’t fix it.

7 Likes

We’re here for you, whether you need to keep strong, or take a break and rant and vent and yell a bit.

Those are a complex mix of things all at once, we’re here for you as you learn to navigate through it all, and educate yourself of all the things that comes with these changes.

My heart goes out to you too, but i know that you love, education and understanding will go a long way to help them through this.

1 Like

Hi @HoldingOnandHoping I’m a mom too and I feel for you. It looks like you’re in the process of figuring things out and I respect you for that because a lot of parents just don’t care. So, that’s really awesome that you are trying to figure this all out and support your teen. You could probably find some type of family support or just even find a therapist to talk to. It might help you find some coping skills. I hope you keep us up to date. Good luck! ~Mystrose

5 Likes

hi friend, i’m so glad you could join this community. thank you for your vulnerability and sharing how things are going with your child’s progress. you are an incredibly strong, caring, and inspiring parent and i appreciate you being there for them as you both find the right path forward together whether it’s through IOP or PHP. while you alone can’t solve it all, you’re taking the right steps to find the best solution for everything they’re facing. sending you, your child, and y’all’s entire network of supportive family and friends so much love and please know your heartsupport community is with y’all whenever you need to vent, talk things out, or hear stories from people going through a similar journey. it’ll be a winding road ahead but i believe in you both to make it out to the other side safely. love, twix

5 Likes

Hi Friend, Thank you for your post, it sounds like you and your child have had so much to manage it must have been incredibly difficult but how lucky your child is to have a parent like you that stands by their side and supports them through it all, I think you are remarkable and I can feel your heartbreak in your post and I can also feel your strength. You are showing your child that there is always hope of a good future if you never give up. I wish you all the luck in the world and look forward to hearing how you are getting on. Much Love Lisa x

5 Likes

Welcome to the community HoldingOnandHoping!
Thank you for being such a supportive and caring parent. That is a lot for your teen to be dealing with at such a young age and that you are having to go through as well as a parent. I can only imagine how difficult this is for your family and I hope your child is able to get the help they need to live a better and full life.

I hope you come back and keep us updated during your journey. We’re here for you and believe in you and your child. Stay strong :hrtlegolove:

5 Likes

Thank you for all of the kind replies. I appreciate the support.

One day at a time…

2 Likes

Hello there,

Thank you for allowing this community to come alongside you & support you through this rough journey. This world needs more adults, parents, & guardians supporting the future generations that are growing & learning about the world around them. I can only imagine how hard this is for you, & for your teen…but you are so strong & capable of so many things. I am proud of you. Thank you for being an amazing human being.

You are strong. You are worthy. You are valid. You are amazing.

2 Likes

Oh my goodness… thank you so much for the kind words. I don’t feel strong most of the time so perhaps you could stand outside of my house with a sign rooting me on? :rofl: :rofl:
One way or another we’ll figure this thing out. :wink:

4 Likes

I will always being rooting for you! You got this! I believe in you! :yellow_heart: :yellow_heart:

3 Likes

Well, my kid is finally in PHP for the 3rd day. They are suggesting a new med for mood, etc but one of the common side effects is weight gain and my kid has an early on eating disorder. Such a hard decision.

I just returned home from a short trip with my other child (the family was supposed to go but couldn’t because PHP was more important). The break was amazing and sadly I didn’t want to come home to face everything going on here. Been a rough day of wishing I could be back visiting family instead of here. Trying to remember that brighter days are ahead but it feels so dark right now.

3 Likes

Dear @HoldingOnandHoping,

You are such a good parent. I respect you so much. I don’t have children myself, but was of course once the child of someone, and can’t help thinking of the support I never had from them when I needed it. Despite a chronic anxiety, depression and eating disorders. Being self-reliant when we are young feels like a punishment. I promise you that, even if it feels helpless to be in your position, the support you are providing to your kid goes beyond words.

You truly are a warrior. Being on the front lines, being present, caring, loving, naming things even when they are scary and hurtful. What you are doing means the world to your teen, even if they may not be aware of it because of the battles they are currently leading so bravely.

Do you receive any support on your end? Someone in your family or friends that you can rely on when you need someone to be there for you? We, here, are of course present anytime you need and that is not going to change. I’m just wondering if you’d be willing to have someone by your side physically too. Being dedicated as a caretaker can be consuming and bring a lot of emotions that deserve to be expressed. I don’t want you to feel alone or isolated in this. You deserve to be heard too. :hrtlegolove:

1 Like

Ask for something else. I actually did that today for myself.

1 Like

Hi @HoldingOnandHoping
First of welcome to heartsupport. I can’t say how much I am glad you are taking the mental health of your teen seriously. Thank you so much for that. I have heard and seen far to many examples of parents either not acknowledging mental health issues or blaming their children for them. Thank you for not being one of them.

When it comes to support sometimes it is enough to be there for the person. Listen to the professionals and listen to your teen. Those things are already so much. I know you are worried sick but you are being very supportive and rational. I am glad your teen has you :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

a supportive, understanding parent? honestly, that’s like a super medicine to have on hand. There might be hard moments, but your kid is gonna feel so much more comfortable and seen with your support. We’re here rooting for ya mama, so you can root for the kiddo!

This topic was automatically closed after 365 days. New replies are no longer allowed.