Anxiety sucks i haven t had it very long i turn 30

This is a topic from YOUTUBE. Reply as normal, and we will post it to the user on YouTube.

Belongs to: https://forum.heartsupport.com/t/38248
Anxiety sucks, I haven’t had it very long I turn 30 next October but my anxiety manifested itself on July 10th 2020 and I will never forget slamming on the breaks in my car cuz I thought I was having a heart attack, I remember crying out to God to not let me die, the feeling of overwhelming fear, pure sure so intense in my chest I could hardly breathe, adrenaline so intense that it made my whole body numb, my heart rate skyrocketed to 175bpm and my vision blurred so bad I couldn’t see the door handle on the ambulance. Ever since that day a little over 3 years ago now I’ve struggled with feeling in control of myself, but like he was saying you have good days and you have bad days, chest pain and pressure is completely normal to feel all the time, the feeling like someone is poking your chest or abdominal muscles is also normal, it’s a weird mental disorder

1 Like

I feel this with you. Anxiety can be very confusing and disturbing disorder at times. It’s this beast that craves for control and feeds on the illusion of it, yet at the same time makes us live this extended panel of symptoms that feel chaotic. What you’ve experienced especially, this awful and brutal sense of panic within, is such a rough manifestation of anxiety to go through. It’s like your own body is fighting against you, and your anxiety is completely taking control of you, of your mind, of your heart, leaving you with an intense sense of fear… I recall the few times I experienced panic attacks, there were times when I felt like you that I was just going to die. You have these silly thoughts that race immediately about who to call, and if you manage to call the emergencies how long would you have to wait, and what are they going to say… And the crazy thing is how it just comes out of nowhere! You were driving and suddenly had this episode. Whether or not you were thinking about something stressful, it still has this way to appear when you would expect it the least. I personally had panic attacks literally when I was actually having a joyful/good moment, far from any sense of fear or worry! Ugh.

It makes completely sense to have a hard time since then to feel in control of yourself. When you experience such raw and brutal event, it leaves you with this sensation of having something that was removed from you. Something connected to your sense of agency, your power of decision and to feel confident in what you’re doing. When it takes you by surprise like this, it’s hard to not anticipate it happening again, even when you try not to think about it. It feels like it’s inprinted in the very cells of your body, and the memory of it becomes yet another layer of anxiety to deal with. This is such a tough experience, and I’m sorry again that you have known it with such intensity. Hoping that, since then, you have experienced many many days without any sense of panic, and that somehow you can also contemplate the memory of those days when everything was okay, when your body was an ally to you, not working against you. :heart:

1 Like

This reminds me a lot about Matty Mullins (vocalist of Memphis May Fire) sharing about his panic attacks (check out this interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtlkOSzB2pk )

You described it so well, and putting a finger on the feeling of being out of control…it’s so scary when something shakes us to our very foundation, and we end up feeling like we’re never going to be safe again - it’s like, how do I trust the ground underneath me isn’t going to drop out again? It’s TRAUMA. And it leaves an imprint on our bodies and minds.

I really appreciate you sharing about this. I can personally relate to the daily struggle with anxiety. And it seems like you’ve gotten to this place of not feeling HOPELESS about it, which is a powerful place to be. You’ve moved to a place of acceptance - this is a part of my life - and your mindset is about: how do I now deal with this new element of my mental health? And that’s such a powerful frame to look at it through. Strong work!

Thank you again for sharing.

I personally find that once you have anxiety it’s best to just accept it and move on, I’ve been battling it since July 10 of 2020, I remember the day clearly and probably always will, ya you gotta take some pills and learn your triggers. I live in North Idaho and the winters are brutal in the sense that there is nothing to do, for me if I’m constantly doing something I’m fine, but when I am trying to rest on a day off sometime it just isn’t going to happen and just like Aaron I too play the drums and simply distracting your mind is an easy way for anxiety to not exist, I am also a dirtbike enduro competitive racer and I find if you burn up excess adrenaline then I seem to be fine for days or even months sometimes, I only take pills in the winter when I’m stuck at home with nothing to do. It’s almost like your body and mind is telling you to get up and do something, anything productive.

Now learning your triggers, yes sometimes you have the feeling of you can’t breathe and sometimes no control over yourself every once in a great while and it does come out of nowhere and never has a reason, it just pops up and it’s there, when it happens it’s sudden and generally doesn’t last long. I have always been nervous of crowded spaces, carnivals, malls, movie theaters, ect. And once I developed anxiety it just got worse so I try to stray away from places like that naturally, but sometimes you have to just do it and hope for the best. Generally the outcome of facing your fears is rewarding in the end.

As a competitive racer I’m forced to face many fears such as crossing logs, huge rocks, tractor tires, ridiculous hill climbs, and try to make it through rivers and creeks, ect. End of the story it’s hard, that’s the point. I find it’s a great way to not only face your fear of hurting yourself (which does/can happen) but your also challenging your fear, looking it dead in the eye and showing yourself that you do in fact have control, sometimes of course your brain decides to turn into a bowl of mash potatoes and you irrationally have a panic attack for no reason but once you can identify the symptoms and understand what they are, you soon begin to find to use it to your advantage.

What I mean by this is yes it still sucks you have to take some pills and be uncomfortable for a few days till they kick in, but while racing I welcome it, your already breathing heavy, your already exhausted from 60 miles of track throwing a 240lb bike around and now you have a ton of obstacles in your way, when it kicks in you don’t feel pain, I’ve fallen off my bike going 35-40mph got back up and didn’t feel anything cuz I was focused on breathing through an attack, you think clearly and quickly, when an attack happens cuz all you want to do is “make it to safety” which for me is the finish line, does it still suck? Yep but it does have some advantages once you simply accept one, your fine and not going to die, and two your stuck with it so learn to live with it, again you gotta take some pills every so often when the anxiety gets bad, so what, once you learn to live with it and accept it’s never going away the better off you will be. However I will say I understand what living with a mental disorder is and I can confidently say, don’t let it take control of you, if you let it, it absolutely will, stay active and face your fear head on, then and only then can you truly feel in control and most days free from fear, fear is the reason anxiety exists, like Aaron said it was handed down by our ancestors and was given to us by god himself to protect you from danger, after all danger is what activates anxiety and anxiety is what keeps you alive. You can’t control it but you can learn to embrace it.

1 Like