As-an-extrovert-i-view-this-in-relationship-contex - 1544

This is a topic from INSTAGRAM. Reply as normal, and we will post it to the user on Instagram.

Belongs to: https://forum.heartsupport.com/t/39077
As an extrovert, I view this in relationship context so thinking of something as temporary or that doesn’t last is painful and makes me sad. Reads more like abandonment. :slight_smile: Things do ebb and flow, all relationships, but what I crave is consistence.

1 Like

That is definitely something painful and saddening to think of. There’s definitely positive and negative affects for this statement depending from which side we decide to approach it. Just like you, when it comes to associating it with relationships, it makes me feel terribly sad and scared. When you have affection for someone and they have affection for you, we live in this unconscious idea that it’s going to be that way forever. If you share your life with someone, you get used to living this renewed present, and care less about how long it’s going to last. Perception of time changes if whether we feel fulfilled in our life or not. At the opposite side, thinking about loneliness/lack of connection with others as something temporary is comforting. It brings hope. – Maybe, when it comes to feeling about the realization that even relationships are temporary (just because we are by nature), it also makes it SO increidbly precious and wonderful. What were the odds to share LIFE with the people we love? To spend the time that is given to us WITH them. To create memories, to FEEL, to dream together. In the grand scheme of things, it brings light to how cherished our relatoionships can be. When it comes to friends, for example, I like to think that they impacted my own journey and I impacted their own - which is highly significant whether we continue our journey together or not. And when I think about the fact that my partner and I get to share life together while life itself is temporary, that makes me also feel incredibly thankful for having the chance of knowing him at such a deep level. Maybe there could be some comfort for you to find as well in the recognition of the fact that temporary things that we love are blessings, real treasures in our life that permanence may have not made as powerful or deep. :heart:

Hey friend,

I totally feel this. It’s like ALL i want is for something to finally NOT be temporary. I just want a someone(s) to stick around. There have been many times in my own life when I have felt the sting of this truth, like “oh man, I just want to hold onto this moment/relationship/experience forever” What I’ve come to believe is that temporary and consistency can co-exist. What I mean by this is when we accept that relationships ebb and flow, and people will mess up sometimes we give permission for people to show up consistently as they are- in their growing, in their mess, in whatever state they are currently in (which is hopefully an ever changing and evolving state). Things being temporary also means that relationships can grow and DEEPEN. Temporary doesn’t always mean that it won’t last or that someone will leave, sometimes it means it will GET BETTER. For me embracing that everything is temporary always me to stay present and cherish the relationship for what it is now, which allows me to give my full self and time to what’s in front of me. Also as hard as it is to do, confrontng my fear of the temporary while also hoping for consistency has allowed me to try to cultivate consistency within myself. I am one person who will never abandon me, who will and can always be there for me, who can love me, and cultivating this consistency internally has allowed me to feel more comfort than pain in the temporary. But again temporary isn’t always bad! Sometimes it means the good will just get better.

1 Like