Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder in Adults

I always thought that adolescent adhd was the equivalent to adult adhd, until I turned 25. My symptoms got worse over the years and don’t seem to be getting any better. Stress, Bipolar depression and seasonal depression really knock me for a loop and makes my motivation and my drive to anything non existent. I am taking medicine for a few other mental illness and they are working properly. Does anyone have any sort of trick or piece of advice they can share to maybe help me to focus better?

Hi there. I have ADHD as well. I know that for myself if I am stressed or there is a lot going on in my life it is hard to focus let alone hyperfocus. What works for me is if I need to talk or vent I can do that with someone. (friend, counselor etc…) as well as I journal my thoughts. Sometimes I just need to get whatever is on my mind out and it may or may not make sense but to get it out of my head and on to paper helps and I feel relieved. I also have one activity that I can hyperfocus on instantly (my activity is skateboarding) so that afterwards I can feel relaxed and ready to do either school or work. I can’t comment as far as medication because I am not a physician and I never was on it, I only did counseling which if matched with the right counselor can be helpful and make thing easier to manage. At this point in life since we are adults we essentially have to learn to advocate for ourselves and work through what does and doesn’t help as well as have a support system to help balance it out. You will learn to manage it and you will be able to focus just know that you are not going through this alone. :slightly_smiling_face:

Are there any tools you used as a kid that helped you out that you can still implement? I work with kids and have learned that techniques I use with them are just plain good techniques no matter what the age.
But yeah it is more difficult because you now have to manage them yourself.

Good luck! And remember, there is nothing wrong with you having ADHD. Just means your brain works different! And that can give you a really cool and different perspective to the world. I just wish the world would adapt more to be more accessable to these different ways of processing.

1 Like