Being made fun of constantly due to my race (I guess not as bad as others)

This isn’t as bad as others, but it really does hurt me in the inside.

I have people saying racist jokes about me, daily. And though I should just leave it, I’m always hurt in the inside, its like a huge hole that these bullies keep tearing open. I honestly can’t handle the situation.

How would I go about try controlling the situation? This really does hurt me everytime. Every single time I just want to throw a punch to their face but I lack the courage to because of this gaping hole they’ve torn open.

2 Likes

It true not worth your time, in lack for better term racist people are people that have issues and to be honest they are dumb. I know easy said and it does hurt really bad inside. However in other word why be offended by bullshit, when you know it not true. The crap they say about you has no sense or logic. Again, racism make people foolish and blind. Don’t let their words bring you down. Stay strong!

You have every right to feel hurt they are being jerks and think that it is funny but it’s not. Is there someone you can talk to that might be able to mediate between you and the bullies? They are being ignorant and it’s a reflection of them not you. I know it’s easier said than done to not let it get to you but you have every right to speak up and let someone know. I hope that the situation improves soon.

2 Likes

They’re devaluing you as a person for an invalid reason that you have no control over. They may just think that they’re being funny and you’re cool with it if you’ve never told them otherwise. If they’re your friends, tell them it hurts when they make those jokes. If they make fun of you for that, they’re not really friends.

I’m half Mexican. I have the advantages of white skin and English as my first language. I’m okay with jokes about stereotypical Mexican quirks–they’re kinda funny because oftentimes they’re true. But I also remember all the good things in Latino culture (family values, work ethic, humility, unparalleled kindness and love for the rest of mankind), and know that jokes about goofy trucks and funny foods don’t change that. What breaks my heart is the hatred for Latinos running rampant right now, the paranoid fear of “bad hombres” from “shithole countries” coming to take our jobs, rape our women, and sell drugs to our kids. If I looked and sounded Mexican and I had to hear those hateful things, I would be really sad and angry because they’re not true and they’re not fair. I have a hard enough time hearing it in the media, directed at a nameless and faceless group of good people who are just trying to make a good life for themselves.

2 Likes

@Shadey,

Hey friend, thank you for being here. It doesn’t matter what others are going through or if it’s not “as bad as others”. What you’re experiencing, what you’re feeling matters. You matter. And there’s no such thing as a scale of suffering. So feel free to come here and share anytime you need, okay? :wink: :heart:

What those people are doing, saying racist jokes, isn’t right. You used the right words: it’s bullying. It’s a way for them to diminish you, to hurt you. And actually it’s okay to joke about your origins as long as you’re okay with it and it doesn’t make you uncomfortable. Which is absolutely not the case here.
My husband is half-japanese and we’ve been used to make jokes about it. But it was consented, it was between us and it wasn’t about mocking each other at all.

I’m sorry to hear that what they’re saying hurt you. And I can tell you already that there’s not even a bit of truth in what they said. As @mufcninja said, is there a third-party you could involve in this? Someone you could talk with about this situation, so they could help you and intervene? Because you don’t have to deal with this alone. It’s okay to get some help when you feel stuck.

Much love to you. :heart:

When I was growing up I dealt with a lot of racist comments, but mostly from my family. My grandmother was really old school. My dad is of Mexican blood. My Grandmother for whatever reason always had something negative to say. It really hurt me to hear her comments all of the time. I was very young so I never confronted it.

Sometimes at school kids would call me really mean names because of my skin color. It was hard to absorb. The thing is, I know these things hurt, but throwing a punch in someone’s face is never the right resolve. Violence is never the answer. I know that ignoring can be really hard.

I’m not sure how old you are, but if it’s something going on at school, I would talk to a teacher. If it’s something that is happening at work, maybe you could talk to a boss. I’m not sure if approaching the person is something that is optional or not. “Hey, those comments are really hurtful, can you please not say that kind of thing” - I have had a rough experience with bullies, and I know that showing them that they are hurting you often just makes it worse. So I always just had to learn to ignore them. Approaching them rarely worked. In fact, happiness is often the best revenge. Show them that they don’t phase you. Just go about your way happily. When they see that they can’t bother you, eventually they stop.

It’s hard to say which answer is the right answer right now. I’m really sorry that people are being so cruel to you. I hope that you are able to find a way push through this or find someone who can maybe help you put a stop to it.

You are loved and valued. Despite what these people say about you. Much love, friend.

• Kitty
1 Like