Bpd and mood swings…

I have been struggling a bit lately with moods. Going from hyper focused, really happy ( were it feels fake) to crashing with anxiety and low mood. I have been told its BPD. I am finding myself going up and down and am finding it hard to stay stable. I am trying to cope with things in my life and to work on things in therapy, but my mood changes so quick. ( from minutes to hours) I am having a hard time with it. I have been trying to not isolate myself right now because I know that I need to be around people but I dont like when people see me like this. One minute im happy, then the next i can be very down and am getting angry now for some reason. I can be around people when my mood is ok, but when its down, I tend to back off and not let people in. I feel like im a bother to people and im wasting peoples time. I feel like i am on a rollercoaster going up and down. Tried talking to my psychiatrist about it and he just tells me i need to be on more meds which i am not willing to do.
Does anyone else on here have BPD and know how to deal with the mood swings?
I am getting tired of being fine then not fine. If anyone has any advice on how to cope with the emotional rollercoaster that would be great. Thanks

7 Likes

Hi Friend,

Yes, I have been diagnosed with BPD.

Extreme emotional swings (another is uncontrollable explosive anger) is one of the BPD traits. There are 9 traits and in order to have a BPD diagnosis you must have 5 or more of them. They must also be moderate to sever. You can have up to 4 of the traits and not actually have BPD.

Mood swings are very hard to deal with especially when they happen all thru out the day. I know I experience big highs and big lows thru the day. I’m going to share a coping video with you that helped me. Everyone kind of deals with this in their own way, but perhaps you can get some ideas.

2 Likes

Hey, friend :hrtlegolove:
Thank you for sharing this with us. I’m sorry you are struggling with your moods and this rollercoaster. I want you to know that people who care about you will never see you as wasting their time. And I hope you never feel that way posting here. We are happy to hear from you and be here for you.

Have you thought about seeing a counselor or psychologist to talk through what you are experiencing in addition to your psychiatrist? You could ask your psychiatrist if he thinks it would be beneficial for you to have someone to talk to.

I hope Mystrose’s advice helps you. Good luck with everything :hrtlegolove:

1 Like

Every situation is unique, so I can’t even pretend to understand what you are going through. But I can identify with your frustration of feeling like doctors are just throwing medication after medication at you, and hoping something works. It does sound like you could use someone to talk to, in addition to your psychologist. Maybe a counselor, or someone you know and trust? A lot of processing emotion is being able to work through it, and having an environment where you are comfortable doing so could help. In either way, I am sorry you are going through this. You are loved. Even when your emotions want to tell you otherwise.

2 Likes

hey friend,

thank you for letting us in on this difficult time in your life and allowing us to support you. mystrose above shared helpful resources and experiences, she’s also helped me learn more about BPD and i hope you can reach out if you need someone going through a similar journey! especially from all you explained in this post, the uncertainty and insecurity of moods would be difficult to endure so i hope you can be comforted in the fact that you are not alone in this. i totally understand how the idea of even more meds than before is not a viable option. would you be open to support groups with people in your area or online for others with BPD? i googled “support groups bpd” and found a lot of results based around my own location so i’m hoping you can find one and receive strength from others through groups like these!

i watched a bit of that video mystrose shared above too and the exercises dr. fox walks his viewers through could definitely benefit you in finding a stable balance of emotions! hope to hear from you soon on how things are going, your whole heartsupport community is behind you every step of the way!

love,
twix

1 Like

Hi Friend, Thank you so much for your post. I am so very sorry that you are struggling with your mood and stabilitly, that must be incredibly hard to manage. I can certainly understand why you are questioning more medication, it feels never ending when you are being offereed more and more for this and that and nothing feels like its doing the job other than giving you side effects. mystrose has bpd and has given you some amazing information that only someone who has the condition could, which brings me to “support groups” have you tried googling bpd support groups in your area to see what is around? if you could find one you would be able to gather support and ideas about dealing with difficult situations with your own diagnosis. I truly hope you find something that helps you improve. Much Love Lisa x

2 Likes

hi friend,
I dunno if this can bring you some comfort, but in my reading up on bpd, I’m struck by two things. The isolation that is sometimes felt because everything is so intense and SO quick to happen in your brain, and it takes a while to return to “baseline”.
The other thing is related to that: bpd seems to have it’s own spectrum, it’s own “normality”, (as in a normal curve from statistics), and even though individuals feel so alone and isolated, if you were to talk to someone with a bpd diagnosis, you might be struck by the fact that your feelings and experience are shared by others, and in that feeling of belongingness and community, there may be a degree of comfort and even hope?
Educating those around you, finding out more info yourself (there are some good online resources) may be able to let others understand you more.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 365 days. New replies are no longer allowed.