Day-to-day coping: Anxiety?

Hey everyone, hope all who are reading this are doing well.

I’ve been struggling with heavier bouts of anxiety lately; I’ve had some health-related concerns over the past month or so and I’ve been in and out of doctor’s offices and have had multiple tests come back negative. Even when these results come back negative and my doctors reassure me I’m fine right now, I still have severe anxiety especially in the evenings when I’m home alone, where my mind will start to wander, I’ll fixate on every little tiny thing I notice with my body, and I feel the urge to rush to WebMD on my phone or make another appointment with my doctor. I hate this, I hate going to bed with my heart damn near pounding out of my chest and not being able to just focus or relax. Dwelling on all these feelings eventually ends in bringing me to tears, which I hate to admit but seems to be the only way to get past any of it.

I’m lucky enough to have been able to schedule a short sit-down with a mental health professional tomorrow evening, but I’m just wondering right now if anyone out there who deals with this type of anxiety has any coping strategies you use to either calm your mind, focus on one thing, or just improve their overall mood.

Appreciate any input, thanks for reading.

Edit: I am excited to say that last night I ordered both Dwarf Planet and Mountains! I’m really looking forward to getting those in the mail and start working on them.

Hello @adam_actual, I’m glad you’re going to see a mental health professional, that can help.
Crying is a natural human response, and is actually a healthy way for your body to relieve emotional stress. Movement can also help, taking walks and getting fresh air. Breathing techniques to calm the mind. Exercising, which is good for you physically and can improve your mood. Talking about it can help, maybe writing your emotions down on paper, which is another way to relieve emotional stress. Music can calm you too, whether it’s blasting loud or just something important to you.
Everyone is different, but hopefully one of these helps you.
I wish you luck, and always remember that you are not alone. :slight_smile:
Hold Fast

1 Like

Hey @adam_actual! I’ve had my fair-share of counseling sessions over the years, and I’ve come to develop a list to utilize during seasons of intense anxiety. I hope it gives you some tips and tricks as well!

• Take deep breaths every time you think about breathing (Using the “4-7-8 Method”)
  • Consider consuming mood-enhancing tablets (Omega-3, 5-MTHF)
  • Get enough sleep (Go to bed early!)
  • Watch/listen to your favorite comedian
  • Exercise (Swim, if possible)
  • Download a meditation application (Headspace, Breathe, 10% Happier)
  • Activate essential oil diffuser with lavender oil
  • Temporarily change music to something relaxing (i.e. Hammock)

-Eric

1 Like