Depression/growth

Hi, this is my first time posting on here. I’m working on the dwarf planet workbook and came across the first challenge of sharing my reasons. I don’t normally talk to anyone about my depression because I never wanted to feel judged or pitied I suppose. This workbook has honestly helped a lot so far to figure out the root of my depression. I don’t like expressing my emotions to anyone, I’ve been hurt in the past by those closest to me, friends and especially family. And because of that i guess I trust too easily and it’s usually people who really don’t have the best intentions but I’m too blind to see it. And I get so stuck inside my head because I don’t express that. I occupy myself with stuff and stay busy so I don’t have to deal with it. I’ve realized that I’m just scared to express my emotions to others in fear of rejection but I also don’t want to feel vulnerable. I’ve been holding all of these emotions in for years. I know I’ve got a long way to go on this healing journey, and so this is the beginning.

4 Likes

Hey @Odessa, welcome here!

Dwarf Planet is a good resource. It’s awesome to hear that you’ve been using it to reflect on yourself and your story. Learning to know yourself better, but also what’s the shape of your specific experience of depression, is a huge step. Congrats on beginning this journey! And thank you for sharing all of this. It’s a new world of possibilities that you’re walking in.

I don’t normally talk to anyone about my depression because I never wanted to feel judged or pitied I suppose.

This makes really sense, Odessa. Especially since you’ve been hurt before when you tried to express yourself. It’s hard to find a place where someone can feel safe enough to be vulnerable. There’s also a lot of misconceptions and stigmas when it’s about depression or mental heath in general - unfortunately. In these circumstances, holding your emotions in is quite a normal reaction. And it takes a lot of strength to say that this has to be changed. You’re strong, friend. And allowing yourself to be vulnerable is part of it. :heart:

I’m really grateful to you for writing this post, for moving beyond those fears you mentioned and the discomfort of being vulnerable. It’s not an easy step. It’s scary. But know that you’ll always be welcomed here just as you are and with what you are willing to share. No judgment.

“And so is the beginning”. :slight_smile: I wish you well through your reading and inner reflection. Take care. :heart:

Hi @Odessa, welcome to the Heartsupport forum! I am so glad you are here, and I am so proud of you for going through dwarf planet and following the guidance. You deserve this investment in yourself, and I hope you find comfort here.

It saddens me to hear you were hurt in your past by people close to you. I know that for me that has caused anxiety surrounding being vulnerable and talking about my experiences, so I am glad to see you here trying to stretch those muscles again. We will take good care of you.

Welcome to the beginning of your journey, and we are honored to be a part of it. You are doing great, and we are rooting for you here. I am really excited to learn more about you, and hear how you are doing, as well as if there is anything we can do to support you. You are brave, and you can do this :hrtlegolove:

1 Like