Doctor shared concerns that I might have bipolar

Hi everyone!

Before I get started - I’m mostly making this post to write down my thoughts since they have been starting to build up in my head, which has been causing me anxiety and have been making it difficult for me to sleep the past few days. Reading this back I realized this became quite a bit of a rant, and I hope this sorta thing is okay to post here. I just want to get my thoughts out and share with others. With that being said, I would definitely appreciate hearing what others think about my current situation!

So this year I have been trying to take steps in the right direction to better my mental health, as for many years (5-6) I have struggled with low moods, depression etc. I have been making an effort to go for walks and I have a therapist lined up at the beginning of next month. Another one of these “steps” have been making appointments with my doctor.

At this point I have had multiple appointments with him over the course of ~6 months. And for some additional context: I have seen him in the past (roughly 1.5 years ago) where I went in for similar problems.

Over the years of seeing my doctor I have tried a total of two anti-depressants. Trintellix and Wellbutrin. Both of these medications made things worse for me. The first one made me more tired and more depressed. The second, Wellbutrin, was WAY worse. Significant increase in anxiety, difficulty sleeping, and on the fourth night I went from feeling high and buzzing throughout entire body to a panic attack where I started hearing voices. heh. Needless to say I stopped taking it after the fourth day.

When I went in to see my doctor I told him about this, he followed up by asking me how I have been the past few months, as the last appointment I had with him was ~3 months ago. I told him that I’ve mostly been experiencing low mood, low energy, low motivation, but on occasion I experienced moments where I was doing quite well (4-5 days) and other moments where I went threw more depressive episodes. To my surprise, the doctor was less so concerned about my depressive episodes, and seemed more concerned about the moments where I was doing well. He said that he has some concerns that I was in a manic or hypomanic state.

Dr: When you were feeling better, were you more talkative?
Me: Yes!
Dr: Were you abnormally energetic?
Me: Yes.
Dr: Did you feel like you could go extended periods of time without sleep?
Me: …Yeah.

He then asked me if there is any bipolar in my family. My mom has bipolar.

It was at this moment that my doctor said that it sounds like I might also have bipolar, something that I had never considered in my entire life. So he made a referral to a psychiatrist so we can see if I actually have it or not.

There is something here that I feel like I should admit to - When I originally made the decision to start seeing my doctor again, some sick part of me wanted to get a diagnosis of some sort of mental illness. The reason? Well, one of the reasons was so that I could have an answer (or an excuse) as to why I have been the way I am for the past 5-6 years, but another reason, sickeningly, you can victimize yourself to get empathy from others (terrible, I know). And when my doctor shared his concern about me potentially having bipolar, I was trying to hide my smile. And man… I feel like an awful person for admitting to that…

Even though I genuinely never considered me having bipolar, or even knowing what hypomania was beforehand, ever since that appointment I cannot stop thinking about it and about bipolar disorder itself. I’ve been up all night searching up symptoms of it and reading up on others experience with it. I’ve been trying my absolute hardest to look at my life as unbiased as possible in an attempt to see if I actually have it.

As I said, part of me wanted a diagnosis, and with that being said, did I accidentally overexaggerating my symptoms to manipulate him into thinking I have some sort of disorder? Do I actually have hypomanic episodes? Is my depression even that bad? When I see my Psychiatrist, will I now subconsciously over-exaggerate bipolar-specific symptoms now that I’ve done research on it and am more familiar with it?

Its been driving me absolutely nuts! I feel so lost, confused and muddled in thought. Even though continuing down the path of obsessing over bipolar disorder is causing me so much stress, I just cant help it…

Just read one more reddit post, read one more article, watch one more video.

Should I tell my doctor that I am afraid I might be subconsciously overexaggerating my symptoms? Or would this make things worse and destroy all the trust we have built with each other over the years?

PS: I am aware of how this post may look, but I am not looking for medical advice or a diagnosis from anyone here lol. Just curious if anyone can remotely relate to this.

1 Like

Oh boy do i relate to big pieces of this my friend. heartsupport — Mozilla Firefox - Doctor shared concerns that I might have bipolar - HeartSupport / Support - heartsupport — Mozilla Firefox - 10 April 2024 | Loom

1 Like

Hey, thanks for taking the time to respond!

After watching your response I realized that I probably should’ve re-worded the whole victimizing part of it: I have a fear that part of me wants/enjoys being a victim. However, it is definitely NOT my entire personality lol. And - I’m not trying to insinuate that that’s what you were saying, but just felt like I should’ve made that more clear in my post.

As a bit of an update as to where I’m at now: my anxiety is starting to subside. I actually had a conversation with my mom about this yesterday since she has bipolar. After that discussion I have this growing confidence that I’m not bipolar. My mom has bipolar 2, and growing up with her and seeing her struggles I can confidently say that I have not went through the same level of struggles as her.

Sure, I have my ups and downs. But other than two moments in my life (5-6 years ago), depressive episodes don’t usually have any significant impact in my jobs and relationships. I’ll bring this up to my doc next time I see him. I think its possible I may have inherited some characteristics of my moms bipolar, but not to the extent that warrants a diagnosis.

Also - with that being said. I think what I’ve been realizing since that conversation is that I shouldn’t be worried about a stupid diagnosis lol. What I should be worried about is trying to better my mental health, and that no matter what label I may be given, I am me. Myself, as I have always been.

This thought process has been allowing me to get better sleep. I do think in some extent that it does speak volumes that days after the appt I was spending sleepless nights awake till 4-7am in a panicked frenzy, with these obsessive thoughts. I think it shows that a larger part of me fears diagnosis.

Anyways, not sure where I’m going with this lol but it felt really good to make that post and write it all down into words. Again, I really appreciate you taking the time out of your day to respond! And if you have anything else you want to say after reading this, I’d love to hear it! Thanks!

2 Likes

Hey ahoka, thank you so much for sharing what’s going on and for the update.
I know how stressful it feels trying to find the right balance with your dr when it comes to medications and diagnosis etc. it really can feel like just a relief when something and maybe anything is the answer. Like you mentioned, because then at least you have an answer.

Our minds are so good at playing against us at times. I can totally relate to second guessing myself, even when it’s something like being unwell and I know I should call in sick for work, I start second guessing if I really am that unwell, am I just exaggerating?
The difficult thing with this is when it does come to mental health it feels almost worse because the fear of having a label attached to how we feel, the fear of feeling like we are going to be stuck with all the negative connections a diagnosis may bring- it’s really stressful and heavy.

What I love is that you’re acknowledging that you are not just a diagnosis.
As much as it’s scary to have a diagnosis because we love to look up all the bits on the internet, what it can truely mean is that we get to learn and understand how we feel and respond the way we do and what are some beneficial options to promoting a healthy balance in our mental health journey.

Have a moment to celebrate and be proud of yourself for being able to get to that point

I totally get where you’re coming from. The feeling over enjoying being a victim or enjoying having…an excuse for behavior perhaps?

I absolutely get it.

When it boils down to it - I think diagnosis are important! Im not a doctor - but in talking to my doctors, they’ve told me that some stuff is biochemical. Sometimes our bodies aren’t making enough of a particular thing to help us find that balance. And in that, a diagnosis and subsequent medical treatment or medication can be REALLY important.

I use to think i could “mind over matter” my way to a healthier life. But that just wasn’t the case.

You ARE you though. Diagnosis or not. Medication or not. You aren’t defined by any label.

Im immensely glad you felt better after getting that energy out thought - that is really what it’s all about. I hope you find guidance and solace in your future steps towards treatment my friend…