Does anyone have any tips or advice on how to take care of a puppy

In October of this year it will be 4 years since I lost my dog Rocky, and now here I am with a brand new puppy that used to belong to my brother hunter, and I have no idea what I’m doing, my brother Bronson went behind my back and bought the puppy I had absolutely no say in the manner at all , my brother Bronson took advantage of me and several weeks prior went in my room had my brother hunter on speaker, (I have schizophrenia ) so I was hallucinating/ dissociating and hearing voices the whole time, my brother Bronson still had the his phone on speaker I was still hallucinating and my voices were unbearable my brother Bronson just dismissed it and said I was just acting weird. Which sucked. Which leads me to the present moment and now I have a new puppy and I have no idea what I’m doing.

2 Likes

gosh I am so sorry you experienced that with your brothers. Have you been able to speak to your parents or someone else you trust about what happened? Those sorts of things shouldn’t be dismissed like that.

as far as having a new puppy around, I do hope it can bring you some joy. If you’re wanting some tips with it, there’s a really good trainer on instagram called Sayitoncedogtraining. He has some really amazing and helpful tips when it comes to dogs!

I hope you’re feeling okay after what happened, come back any time

2 Likes

Hi Friend, welcome to Heart Support and thank you for posting. I’m sorry that you had to deal with hallucinations and not get support from your brother, that sucks. I have schizophrenia too, so I know how scary voices can be with they get loud. I hope that you are ok now. As far as your dog goes, you can look on YouTube for whatever topic you want to learn about. Like what they should eat or potty training etc. I hope that you will come back and let us know how things are going. What did you name the pup? You matter! ~Mystrose

2 Likes

hey friend,

welcome to the forum, my friend! and thank you for your vulnerability in this horrible experience with your brother. that’s entirely unfair and cruel of him to take advantage of your schizophrenia and gaslight you into thinking he did nothing wrong. i’m so sorry this happened to you and hope an adult/family member can step in and tell bronson to not act like that.

when it comes to the new puppy, i would say establishing a routine and teaching the dog as many tricks as you need is the best thing to do for this new dog. tricks such as sit, stay, give, etc. will help you in the long-run for you both to have a healthy and helpful life. a routine also helps the dog stay in schedule so you don’t have to be surprised by random feeding times or potty hours. i hope this dog can also provide the comfort you need for so many years to come. my dog has saved my life more times than i can count by him just being by my side so i hope that same comfort is given to you with this puppy!

love,
twix

1 Like

Hey there, and welcome to HeartSupport! Thank you for sharing your story with us :hrtlegolove:

I’m so sorry that your brothers don’t seem to understand you and what you may need from them at certain times. Puppies can be difficult and getting a new one when you weren’t expecting it can definitely be a lot. I hope that you are able to care for it and love it as much as it deserves and that it can help you feel loved in turn. Dogs are the purest form of animal and their love is always unconditional. Remember that. And if you find that you cannot care for it and you need to focus on yourself instead of both of you I hope that your brothers can help you care for the dog or help you find a new and wonderful home for it.

Good luck and enjoy the cuddles :hrtlegolove:

2 Likes

Oooh! Thats fantastic! If I didnt travel so much + have allergies, Id have kept all sorts of animals at home :smiling_face_with_tear:
So congrats! This is great news!
What breed of dog is he? Age?

If you feel lost…
You could start with the basics.

• Food, water and shelter.
    A clean bowl for food (feeding times and brand of food), a clean bowl of water and decide if you want the dog IN your room, or in your house or any other specific place inside or outside the house.

Since you’ve already had a dog, this shouldnt be much of an issue. :smiley:

• Play/exercise, Bath, vaccinations/health, toilet training would be next. :thinking:
    Internets your best friend for all other info.

All the best.

Oh, and Its NOT ok for your brothers to act like that. I hope you have somebody you can talk to about this.

2 Likes

Grimley is a mini poodle, he’s about 1 years old.

I took him outside and today him to go potty by his potty tree and he seemed to listen to me for the most part, got him to drink so water but when I tried to get him to eat some food he won’t eat it.

As for my brother taking advantage of me when I was hallucinating/ disassociating & hearing voices I didn’t appreciate when he did. Which is why I’m going to be talking about that at my doctor’s appointment on the 22.

And of course I’ll talk about how my brother treated me poorly.

2 Likes

I haven’t talked to anyone about that yet, although I do have a counseling appointment tomorrow and I’ll bring up what happened as a topic for discussion with my counselor and I will also bring up what happened on my doctor’s appointment on the 22nd of this month.

As far as it goes for Grimly, he has a bed and he has a food and water bowl and a place to go potty outside, he’s a fairly good dog most of the time he just he just has to get used to his new environment and warm up to me a little bit.

During the weekend we’re going to get him a bath. He’s going to also get a little trim be all nice and cleaned up I feel kind of bad for having him because I hurt my brother Hunter was crying and missing grimly a lot I just hope that Hunter calls more so we can keep him updated on the dog’s progress. The dog sleeps in a crate and he is currently staying in my room.

1 Like

It’s never a good experience, hallucinating and hearing voices is traumatic and terrifying. I can’t talk to my brother about it, without him saying “I can relate, I hear voices all the time.” his says stuff like this all of the time just to be mean, I hate it when he does it, or when he tells me that my my attitude sucks I need to to change my attitude, he hates he hates mine and his dad, for taking his life, (even though this happened almost 21 years ago) he takes his frustration that he has with about dad taking his life out on me and my mom and it’s awful. I don’t like that his keeps trash talking our dad.

1 Like

I absolutely agree it isn’t far that he took advantage of my schizophrenia I don’t appreciate that he treats me like trash, and gaslights me everyday.

As for talking about him gaslighting me, I haven’t talked to anyone about it yet, although I do have a counseling appointment tomorrow so I’ll bring it up as a topic for discussion. And I’ll also bring it up as a topic of discussion on my doctor’s appointment on the 22nd of this month.

As for the new puppy, he’s a good dog for the most part.

Thanks, for asking I’m doing alright at the moment.

I’ll be talking about what happened tomorrow with my counselor.

As for the dog trainer on Instagram, I’ll have to give him or her a follow and watch some of the videos on their insta page when I have time to do so.

It is very traumatic and terrifying especially when your voices are commanding and you can’t get away. Wow, I’m really sorry that your brother treats you and your mother badly. It seems like he doesn’t know how to deal with his grief and could use some help. I’m so sorry about your father, too.

1 Like

It is traumatic when my voices are unbearable and make me so upset that I start crying.

As for my brother taking his frustration about main and his dad about him taking his life, out on my me and my mom, I really wish he would go to a counselor so that they can help my brother have some strategies and healthy coping skills and to start writing out his frustrations out in a journal.

As for the puppy his name is Grimley.

1 Like