Drown is my comfort song my stim song im still dea

This is a topic from YOUTUBE. Reply as normal, and we will post it to the user on YouTube.

Belongs to: Therapist Reacts to Bring Me The Horizon - Drown
‘Drown’ is my comfort song, my stim song. I’m still dealing with aftermath of a severe depression and the diagnosis for both ADHD and autism. BMTH is a band that gave me some hope there would be light at the end of the tunnel, and Oli’s lyrics made me feel less alone. Both ‘Drown’ and ‘Avalanche’ made me feel understood, like no other song/band/songwriter ever had done before

2 Likes

Hey friend,

I can deeply relate to your experience. I’m 31 and was diagnosed with autism when I was 29. Diagnosed with ADHD when I was 23.

The ADHD thing wasn’t very much of a surprise for me, but when the Austism one came it was a mixed bag. I had learned a lot about ASD and knew that It was highly likely I had it, especially after my uncle was diagnosed at 62. At first a weight was lifted off my chest and all the pain, the embarrasing interactions, the mistakes I had made just made so much sense.

But them came the confusion, anger, and depression. “how much better could my life have been if I knew this before. If I knew how to deal with things that came up that I wasn’t good at or aware of. How many of the painful and embarrasing things could I have avoided?” It was a bear to wrestle with but now I’m in such a better spot. To be able to know who I am better and to live life in a way that makes me extremely happy and proud.

I, too, stim hardcore to metal/hardocre music and love BMTH. They’ve been a band I’ve listend to since their album, Suicide Season, and have found respite in songs like “can you feel my heart” and “there is a hell”…and not to mention “diamonds aren’t forever.”

Oli is a lyrical magician. He’s got some deep and heartfelt messages that he just SCREAMS into the ether.

Stay in there my friend. You’re not alone and you are loved!

Thanks for sharing! I’m glad that you’ve been able to find comfort and hope in BMTH! I’ll have to listen to more of their music!
It can take a while to process your diagnoses of ADHD and autism, and it is common to have comorbidity of depression with those conditions as well. Maybe it felt concerning at first, but growing to accept these can help you feel more confident. I hope that with a better understanding of yourself, you’re able to find peace in who you are. Know that there is a whole community of neurodivergent people that understand the things you’re going through, myself included.
If you ever need any extra support, don’t hesitate to reach out!
Hold Fast <3

Avalanche is one of my go to songs too. I feel like my head wasn’t wired for this world a lot of times too.

So thankful you feel some resonance through this bands and their music. It’s so special when the way you feel internally seems to be projected into the creative outlet of someone else. It helps feeling less alone with the challenges we are facing in our own life.

I hope with all my heart that your own journey with depression and these more recent diagnosis to go as smoothly as possible. Personally the different dianogsis I had over the years often felt bittersweet at first - like a new world of possibility and validation of my experiences, but also bringing its share of discouragement and helplessness at the same time. If you ever need to talk more about how you’ve been experiencing this and how you’re doing overall, please feel absolutely free to share, and know that the Heartsupport’s community is standing with you. No matter what, you are not alone. :heart:

I share the same feelings. Not on the spectrum as far as I know but I haven’t had the best mental health and definitely didn’t have some good years yet their music still made me fight. I’ve felt like this with That’s the Spirit, Sempiternal, and Post Human: Survival Horror. May things go well for you.