Escaping in my phone

So I feel as though I’m depressed, but never have been diagnosed since I’ve never been to see a doctor about depression. But anyways, I posted here back in August after I was laid off and felt as though I was depressed back then. It has only gotten worse. I have since went back to work, but shortly after that my vehicle was smashed by a tree while I was working. Have since got a new vehicle, but COVID is happening and don’t know if we’ll be in a lockdown again, I live in IL. I’m also struggling with coping mechanisms. When I get home from work, all I want to do is divulge myself into my world of Facebook and see how many levels of candy crush I can beat. I know that I’m probably depressed, but without knowing makes it worse. It’s starting to affect my overall health, I believe. I lack motivation to do anything and would rather just escape into other peoples lives on facebook and complete levels in games on my phone.

4 Likes

I know how you feel its like an escape for many people now because of this virus.

Hey, sad to hear that. Unfortunately I know how it is to feel down, lack motivation to do anything and have no idea what’s really going on and how to fix it. It sucks, it’s tough. And escapism and procrastination happen very easily, lately it sometimes feels like survival, to me.

hey, thank you so much for sharing all of that. I know that depression is no easy topic to talk about, but I would encourage you to go see your doctor. They can help figure out a diagnosis. As far as the FB stuff, I would encourage you to find other activities that are healthier for you and more productive. Examples: take a walk, draw something, work out, dance in your living room, call a friend. I know it’s hard, but this pain won’t last forever. You got this!

I would say something that I’ve said to myself and others. Whether you get diagnosed or not, you’re still feeling what you feel. It still matters to you, so don’t feel like you can’t be depressed unless you get a diagnosis. But what I WILL say is that getting a diagnosis, and finding a professional therapist can be really important in finding help. I’d say, if you have the means, and feel comfortable, reach out :slight_smile:

I do this! I 100% do this. When I feel like I want to escape I will be sat on both my computer and my phone, at the same time. I’ll be scrolling facebook, watching streams or playing games on my PC, and then start to notice my thoughts coming back, so I’ll bring up facebook, or streams/youtube on my phone, and have both going at once. Maybe you could find a book that you like, or just an activity that ISN’T on the screens. I recently got myself a Bible and have started to read that if I feel bored of what I’m doing on 1 screen, because… If it’s boring on the big screen, being on a little screen is going to make 0 difference. It’s actually really helped me.

You’re not weird for feeling this way.

Hold Fast
Kayla!

1 Like

depression is something you can fight… try and get sunlight, interact with people (in person), and get at least a small amount of exercise on a daily basis… all things you can do without a prescription

Definitely relatable - scrolling reddit and PC Games are my poison. For me, there is a lot of power in “naming” the feeling, instead of letting them be vague and below the line of consciousness. When I intentionally name “I am dissociating right now” - for me, it opens the door to self-compassion and forgiveness

Im right with you there! Ive done going on my phone/computer for long periods of time doing absolutely NOTHING. However; In the last couple of week, Ive been learning a new language via Duolingo app. If you want to start something new/try, try that!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.