Feeling empty this summer

Usually I love summer but this past June has been awful. I was happy graduating but I have nothing to look forward too before college starts this fall.

I don’t have any friends to hang out with so I’m just alone. I like being alone but it’s been getting to me as of late.

My job demands me to do the work of two people now since my coworker left and even though I have four and a half weeks left its making me exhausted.

I have alot of goals that I’m ambitious for but that’s a little further out into the future. I’m not really sure what to do in the mean time. I’m too tired to do anything I need too and I’m not in any mood to do the things I enjoy.

7 Likes

Congratulations on graduating!

You said so well what I hear so often.“I’m too tired to do anything I need to do, and I’m not in any mood to do the things I enjoy” I hope you can get some good rest! And find something to do for yourself that counts as self-care. I painted my toenails for myself yesterday…

All the best as you make your way to college!

4 Likes

sounds like you’ve had a lot of burn out especially with the work load. Has there been any way to communicate with your boss about the work load you’re under? Logistically people sort of can shrug it off as “it’s only for this long”, but “this” long is often too long when it comes to the pressure of dealing with work and other outside pressures.
Ideally your safety comes first. Perhaps the burn out of work is then making you too exhausted to enjoy any time for yourself.

5 Likes

Hi Friend, Congratz on graduating! I’m sorry you’re having problems with work. Have you talked to a supervisor or someone in charge about it? Can they get you some help? As far as time between now and college a lot of people take that time to just chill, relax and get things ready for college. You’re life will change a lot when you start college and you might not have quality time for yourself. Take care! ~Mystrose

4 Likes

Hello there,

I am sorry to hear that your summer has been a struggle & work as well. I think everyone that replies or even just reads your post knows how that feels. I am proud of you for posting on The Wall, so people can come alongside you to encourage you & support you.

One thing that helps me when something I am looking forward to is so far away is to find small ‘checkpoints’ of things that I would look forward to while I am waiting for the main thing. Maybe every weekend treat yourself by picking up a new hobby, getting out in nature, discovering a new bookstore, or anything that piques your interest.

You are amazing. You are valid. You are strong. You are wonderful. You matter.

-StarFox :yellow_heart:

5 Likes

OMAMfan it sounds as though you have a really busy summer going on there. I’m sorry to hear that friends aren’t around to spend time with. It seems that your job this summer is pretty intense if you have picked up the duties of another person as well as your own. The good part is that you have only four and a half weeks to go - if you can shift how you are looking at things with the job. Are you taking any time off before you go off to college? Having some time to relax and enjoy yourself before the intensity of school starts up? It would be good if you were able to take some time to decompress a bit from work before school starts for you. You sound quite ambitious and that can carry you far in life if you are able to put boundaries on that and take care of yourself as you go. I wish you well. Keep us posted on what you are doing.

5 Likes

hi friend,

thank you for being here on this forum and for being vulnerable so we can all help raise you up. you have a lot weighing on your shoulders and i hope that addressing things one-by-one will help provide clarity and relief. with what you’ve shared, it sounds like you’re facing burnout from work and completing high school. please be easy on yourself and take time to rest. but going into how the summer is starting out, are there any hobbies/skills/sports you’ve always wanted to try but never had the opportunity? i remember spending my last summer before college learning a new program just for the fun of it and it brought me a career and i found online friends learning the same skills. what would your thing be if you were to discover a new skill to fill time that you’d be passionate about to stay interested? my hope with that too is that you find some people going through the same journey through it!

when it comes to your work being overwhelming, is your manager aware of the stress that work is putting on you? it sounds like a red flag that once you leave, they’ll already have to hire 2 people based on your workload. i’m hoping with the relief your job can give you on workload can also free your mind up a bit to have some motivation again to pursue your goals. exhaustion is our own worst enemy to being ambitious! sending you so much love and comfort as you work through this journey into your first year of college. you got this, my friend.

love,
twix

5 Likes

Congrats on graduating, OMAMfan!!!

This summer may fly by before you know it, but until then, there is some thing I think you can do to make it more enjoyable / less stressful. I am someone who is ambitious (or at least I think I am…), and likes to set goals. It’s great that you have some longer term goals set. Have you thought about trying to break them up into smaller, more granulated goals/steps? Smalls chunks that you can take and achieve while you’re still home for the summer? That could help break some of the monotony that you feel coming on. (I also suggest that approach during college… tangible progress during long/hard college assignments makes a huge different in keeping yourself sane during big assignments)

As for the work side, if you are getting worn out by doing the job of you, there shouldn’t be anything wrong with telling your supervisor about it. The last thing you need is to get fatigued / burnt out / etc, and either injure yourself on or off the job, or let your mental health suffer for the sake of your employer not hiring the proper stuff they need. It is their responsibility to see their staffing needs are met, not yours to cover for it.

Good luck in the coming school year!

6 Likes

Hi Friend, thank you for your post, it sounds like you have a lot on your plate right now, possibly even too much. You are young but even you can take on more than you should and I would hate for you to burn out before you have even started college. I would certainly encourage you to pester your boss into finding that replacement for that member of staff, you should not be doing the work of 2 people, that is not fair on you as you dont get to rest for 2 people. Four weeks is not long and as long as you are being treated well at work and getting rest at home, you should be able to find time to do something you enjoy. I do hope that you can find a way to pace yourself. it will also be good practice for college, routine will work well there too. As for the future, I have no doubts that you will get to where you want to go but dont be in too much of a hurry, you only get one life, dont try and live it all today. Much Love Lisalovesfeathers x

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 365 days. New replies are no longer allowed.