Feeling helpless

My significant other is experiencing a lot of setbacks in her life financially and mentally lately…and it’s causing a great depression in her life. The worst part about it is I can’t do anything to help…I’ve tried comforting her and being present, although, she just sits and goes on her phone watching random videos. I asked how I could help and she didn’t know what to say. With this, I made the suggestion to give her alone time. This is causing my anxiety to spike and I am feeling very helpless.

Hey friend,
It is really awesome that you are trying to do everything you can to help support your significant other. It isn’t easy being the one to uphold the other, but from what it sounds like, you are doing a great job. Sometimes being present and letting them do their thing is for the best. We all cope differently and whether you give space for a time or sit with them, it is all great. Be sure to take care of yourself, too. If you are feeling stretched beyond your limits, it is okay to take a break and then come back. Encourage them to speak to someone about how they are feeling, even here if that helps. There is also the resources through HeartSupport that are available to all, one being a free week trial to BetterHelp. Maybe look into that for one or both of you. Support in numbers can be a huge help to dealing with so much, too. I hope things get better, keep us posted. Here for you.

1 Like