Feeling stuck with no sight for the future

Growing up I’ve always known what I wanted to do when I grew up. But now that I’m an adult, I’m not sure. I thought I’d figure it out in my early 20s. I’m now soon turning 27, and still have no clue what to do. I recently got on disability because I physically can’t work without the risk of permanently paralyzing myself and ending up in a wheelchair. And now that I’ve been stuck at home for 2 or 3 years (plus the lockdown), I’m feeling more and more depressed, empty, and stuck. It’s an odd feeling to be honest, but it won’t go away. I don’t really have anyone to talk to, so I end up just sitting here all day and night. Trouble sleeping. Trouble eating. Not going anywhere in life. I feel like I’m just wasting away and I’m not sure how to change that. I have talked to someone before and was only told to get on medication, my family told me the same thing. And medication doesn’t help…

4 Likes

Have you spoken to a psychologist? Try joining a support group online or take a hobby or something to do. I started last year before the virus and I feel great about myself I’m in shape and in a better position now. I hope it helps

1 Like

I have hobbies, but it just feels like time wasting. All I do is hobbies. Play video games, watch youtube, watch videos. I tried working out, doesn’t help, tried talking to people doesn’t help either they all keep saying get on pills. I have a feeling of what I want to do, but am either too afraid to just do it, or I always procrastinate. I lost my spark I once had, and I’m not sure how to get it back. I don’t know of any support groups, I heard about this one from a video I saw on YouTube

I know exactly how you feel, and no, medication is not the solution for all mental and emotional problems. I don’t have all the answers, but no one does.
I, too have lost my spark, and recently I’ve been able to find it, but never for more than a minute at most before it just fades away again and I go back to feeling nothing pretty much always.
But one thing I do know is this: talking with someone, espcially a therapist, helps a lot. It won’t magically solve your problems, but it will help you pinpoint them so that you can steps to conquering them.
It can be costly, as therapy isn’t the cheapest thing and is an ongoing process, but don’t be too afraid to try anything. I was afraid of talking to a therapist before I went in, but it truly helped. I even had issues with things I didn’t even know I had issues with. My mistake was stopping a year ago.
I will talk to you about anything, because I know what it’s like to be alone. I had no one, not even friends, really, for the first 18 years I was alive. Even now that I’ve fallen into a friend group I still feel alone, because we don’t really talk about deep, personal stuff much…though there isn’t exactly a great opportunity for that often anyways.
Point being, I’m here for you and will talk with you if you need it.
And one last thing I’ve learned about life and would like to share, because it is a very important thing.
Depression comes as a result of living in the past, allowing things that happened to stay on your mind and drag you down. Anxiety comes from living in the future, allowing things that have not happenes to rule your mind.
The past and future do not exist. They aren’t real. All we have is the present moment, whatever is currently happening. It’s our choice to decide what we do with these things. It isn’t easy, but removal is a more powerful catalyst for change than accumulation.
We have to remove what’s dragging us down so that we can rise and be free.
Though this alone won’t fix your life, it will make it a hell of a lot better, trust me.
I used to have very bad anxiety and I’ve been depressed, hell, might even still be a bit depressed, but I know I’m trting to learn and grow as a person every day, to try to become who I’m meant to be, and while I don’t know what that looks like exactly, sometimes it’s all I can do to push forward and try for progress. And at the end of day at this point, all I really care about is being a good person and one day having a good life.
Seek and ye shall find…I’ve been seeking and finding, but I’m still seeking to find that which I’ve wanted most.
I’m closer, not much more than I’ve ever been, but everything takes time.
We simply have to learn to accept our lot in life and seek the answers that will lead us to our eventual happiness. Hopefully I’ll find that one day, and I hope you do as well, friend. Have a great day.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.