Feeling Very Lonely

Hello — this is my first time posting. I am not new to bouts of depression but I’m struggling hard with the one I’m going through now.

I am feeling very lonely. I feel like no one in my life wants to sit and listen to me or spend time with me when I’m like this. Maybe it’s because I’ve trained them to always think I’m fine, to think I’ll pull myself out of it eventually. I do tend to self isolate when I get depressed because I feel like I become a toxic waste dump when I’m like this. But even when I try to connect to people or try to power through, I realize no one ever asks if I’m fine. If I’m okay. They either seem to ignore my change in mood or give me advice that surmounts to “you need to figure out what’s bothering you and change it.”

But it’s my existence that bothers me. I’ve never had many friends — I know I’m afraid of intimacy and afraid of connecting. I’ve tried keeping up the relationships I do have but many either claim to want to connect and never do or tend to dump their own issues on me. I feel like a hypocrite being annoyed at that and then expecting people to do the same for me so I just keep my mouth shut.

I’m currently trying dating apps but it’s only emphasized how behind I feel socially. People have been kind and I’ve even been on a date or two but I feel so disconnected. Maybe the egg is on my face for trying to date in the middle of a depressive episode. I’ve never really dated and don’t have a lot of experience and it’s embarrassing.

I could go into details for paragraphs but all wrap it up with I don’t know how to pull myself out of this loneliness. It’s affecting my job, my ability to focus on things I like and the few relationships I do have. I want to get better but it feels like a tar pit.

2 Likes

Hello @sol_soy!

Welcome to HeartSupport! We’re so glad you decide to come on and share your story with us!

I can totally get where you’re coming from, especially with the loneliness and this part especially: “Maybe it’s because I’ve trained them to always think I’m fine, to think I’ll pull myself out of it eventually.”

It can definitely be a real thing. The thing to remember when it comes to friends, is that it’s not that they’re willingly not wanting to ask if you’re fine or ignore your mood changes. Sometimes you actually DO want to ask, but it can be hard to ask without seeming like you want to force them to talk about something they may not be ready to talk about. It’s perfectly okay to just ask a friend you feel comfortable with “Hey can we hang out and talk about stuff?” Kinda open that door and build that connection.

That’s basically the commonality, is building the connection. Whether it be friendships, relationships, or dating. There’s that common theme, the connection. You don’t build those overnight. They definitely take time to nurture and to grow.

Obviously there’s other people you can talk to like trusted adults or professionals too, but at the end of the day, it’s all about what’s going to be most comfortable and rewarding for you.

Never forget too, we’re always here for you to listen if you ever need to talk, or to vent, or anything like that. We’re a family, and family never gets left behind <3

Hey my friend. Thanks so much for posting and welcome to the forum. I really appreciate your honesty in this post and appreciate how vulnerable you were - Feeling Very Lonely - HeartSupport / Support - heartsupport — Mozilla Firefox - 22 July 2024 | Loom