From jarudingus_17226: My parents have been difficult, my years having been and still continuing to be marked by physical torture, verbal insults and neglect from my parents. These all deserve their own rant but today I want to focus on one issue in particular. My mother, who initially didn’t want a male child, raised me as a girl. She refused abortion after knowing my gender due to religious and family reasons. This involved suppressing any hint of masculinity, often with severe punishment, either physical, social, or refusing basic needs.

This should have stopped after my sister was born, but they neglected her leaving me to single-handedly care for my sister. Once again this is an issue for another post, but I had to spend many years basically becoming her parent.

Until age 13, I was prohibited from interacting with males outside my family. Unlike my mother, my father desired a more masculine version of me, not one of comfort either, instead it was marked with becoming a leader in everything, hyper athleticism and refusing all emotions. After a long while of my mom getting full control over me conflicts brewed between them. A forced compromise resulted in my current state – wearing unisex clothes, avoiding all relationships, and embodying both gender expectations forced upon me.

Now, I feel conflicted, not identifying strongly with either gender. I yearn to be female but it is tangled with painful memories of my mother’s enforced upbringing, including trips to the hospital due to her extreme punishments. I feel this is what I am but simultaneously realize these ideas were crammed into my skull through years of torture. I don’t know what to do.

1 Like

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, and I am sorry you feel this way.

If you do not mind, I want to give you advice. You do not have to do any of this; I just want to help :slightly_smiling_face:. If you yearn to be and feel as if you are female, you should explore being feminine. You could also explore being masculine to see. If you feel as if you do not strongly identify with either gender, you can explore being non-binary or gender-fluid; there is nothing wrong with exploring. With whatever gender you identify, know we are always here to support and accept you the way you are🫶🏻. Also, I want to remind you that you are the main character of your life, so you should do what makes you happy and feel good about yourself. I hope this helps.

Fuuuuuuck.

That’s brutal. Which…I know is weird to self-reflect on, because part of you is “numb” to how terrible this is. Part of you might “say” it, but it can be really hard to look at our own stories and even acknowledge and connect with the facts in our hearts…to let those details not just be things that we say about ourselves but that we actually EXPERIENCE. So much of our lives when they’re marked by pain are full of dissociation. Finding ways to be “here”, but not feel it. I’m sure there’s been so much of your life where you allow your body to exist, but your mind has to hide. Between the abuse and the eclipsing of your mother’s disappointment…and then the pressure and the expectation of your father…where even are you? Who even are you? Any desire, any voice, any identity got smashed between the gods of your life fighting it out over who you’d become, neither bothering to see you, acknowledge you as a separate, sentient being. You just were their life-sized doll to fuck around with, change the outfits on, and play their games.

It’s horrible.

I’m so sorry, jarudingus.

It makes sense you don’t know what to do. You’re at the point in your life where you /want/ to start to have an identity…there’s something that whispers to your soul, that there is hope in independence from this…“life” you’ve been living.

And I just want to affirm those hopes. Your voice matters. Your heart matters. Your thoughts matter. Your feelings matter. What you WANT matters. Your dreams MATTER. YOU…YOU matter.

-nate