Group is coming to an end

Tomorrow (Friday) I’m being discharged from my day therapy program. I feel like I’m ready, I’ve learned a couple coping skills and expanded my knowledge of DBT (Dialectical Behavior Therapy) and CBT (Cognitive Behavior Therapy) and I think those two things combined will help me.

I’ve learned a ton about being mindful and how to do mindfulness meditation. Every morning we have a guided meditation where we focus on our breathing and being in the moment. Really paying attention to your breathing. Feeling it’s texture, its temperature and where you feel it in your body. When our mind wonders into thought, which it will, we just gently and non-judgmentally bring ourselves back to our breathing. It just helps you bring yourself back into the moment and it helps with anxiety, stress, ruminating and being in distress. We live in and worry too much about the past and the future and we forget to live in the moment.

This morning during our meditation our clinician said, “you can always find the moment in your breath.” I thought about that for the rest of the day. It’s so profound.

I’m starting to get sad that tomorrow is my last day. I’ve been with these people for 6hrs a day, 5 days a week now for a couple months and I adore (almost) everyone. I’ve gotten phone numbers of a couple of them and I’ve been hanging out online with one of them playing world of warcraft. I’m going to miss having structure and being in a group setting. I love the clinicians and everyone who is on staff, they are all wonderful, caring people. Just like here at heart support.

I feel like all this is being taken from me and it’s hurting my heart. I know this is what needs to happen and I feel ready, it’s just really hard to say goodbye. I guess the good part is that I know I can go back if I need to. Some people come right back after a couple weeks. I’m not sure if that will happen, but at least I have options. The ONLY bad part was the transportation was a nightmare because I live a half hour drive away, so that really sucked big time and caused a lot of distress for me.

We learned about Radical Acceptance which basically means accepting reality as it is, all the way and completely in your mind, your heart and your body. Today, I was on the bus on my way to group and I was going to be late. Normally, I would fume and probably say something not very nice to the driver (I have a few times already). Instead, I just said to myself that there was nothing I could do about it and that it was ok to be a little bit late because other people do it all the time and no one gets in trouble. Later in the day, with the help of my clinician, I realized I had practiced Radical Acceptance. I was pretty proud of myself and so was everyone else.

I went into this thinking I would be cured of BPD, but that was unrealistic for sure. I’m leaving with a better understanding of myself and although I am far from being “cured” this program was something very positive for me and I think there will be more healing for me in the future if I keep up with my therapy.

Anyway, thought I’d give a little update. Thank you to all who supported me thru this. :hrtlegolove: :rose:

7 Likes

such a lovely, wonderful post, thank you for sharing it!

it’s so good to hear how it affected you, and that you’re already effectively practicing some of those skills! Endings are hard for sure, and i’m really glad that you got contact info for some of the lovely folks there!

So proud of you for doing this, and for completing it too. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@Mystrose - What an amazing journey you’ve been on these last couple of months. I remember when you were starting this with anticipation and some anxiety. And now look at you! I love the mindfulness meditations you talked about. You’ve inspired me to do more of that. And radical acceptance - that can be a game changer! So much new and good you are bringing with you. Awesome!

I love that you have made new friends and new connections and I understand the bittersweet of not seeing them daily. That will take getting used to for sure, right along with the change in daily activity. But I’m glad you plan to stay in contact with a few people.

I’m so glad you shared this update with all of us.

3 Likes

Hi Rosie.
This is such a great post. I am proud of you. I know letting go hurts. It can be a really hard thing to do. But i know you have got the best of your therapy program. You have really done a lot of progress. I am very glad you took part in this therapy, because i feel like it has given you so much. The most important part is what to do know. What to do after it is over ate least for now. I think the fruits should not go away. i feel like you should try to hold on and keep what you have learned. The transition of what we learn in therapy into real life is a difficult one, no doubt about that, but it is the next step. You are on a good way Rosie. I am glad you are doing better. I am proud of you. Hang in there my friend :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

So flipping proud of you, @Mystrose. So many strong realizations and experiences there. Being “cured” may not be the final goal, though you are surely getting more and more better at handling your emotions, being vulnerable and accepting support into your life.

You’ve been taking so many steps forward. Thank you for taking care of yourself, allowing yourself to receive the support you need and sharing it in this community. You are a strong example of vulnerability and growth.

Keep growing, keep being. You are now unstoppable, and this energy suits you so very well. :hrtlegolove:

2 Likes