How to get out of your own head when creating

I really want want to create a story, but I find it so hard I’m always second guessing everything that I do, and I always find myself with hundreds of ideas that I can’t focus, I was curious if anyone had any thoughts or tips on something like this.

3 Likes

If you have ideas, then write them down so you can organize or section them. From there you can expand on each idea if you still want to pursue them. Without structure you can’t have the details. You could have a few ideas in one story, too, like little pieces to the entire puzzle.

About second guessing yourself- just write. Write and only focus on the story you’re telling. Once you’re done, you can go back and make any changes. But first get it all onto paper/in a document. I’m not sure what you’re second guessing about, but let the words speak for themselves. You can always go back and edit things.

I hope this was helpful in the very least. I’ll try and think of something else that might be helpful.

1 Like

Thank you for replying, I second guess things because I’m worried that it dumb and stuff like that.

1 Like

Well, art is subjective. Some people may find something more beautiful than others. There’s really no way to judge art like writing beyond grammar, word choice, plot, and things like that since interpretations can be different. Even if it is “stupid,” it could evolve with time and with your emotions or experiences. There’s always room for improvement and you’ll never stop getting better as long as you push forward (that goes for anything that’s a skill ).

For example, I’ve been trying to write the same story since 2020. I’ve scrapped it about 4-5 times but every single time it evolved since my situation became different. Before it was an angry and sadistic attempt at writing and now it’s a more lonely and solemn attempt. Looking back, the writing was kind of stupid and cliche but that’s where growth happens. Even though it wasn’t perfect, it sprouted new ideas or new points to pursue. Sometimes you have to do something wrong in order to then do it right, if that makes sense.

Yeah I understand what you’re saying I just fear failing so much, and I know that you have to fail in order to grow and what not but it always feels like I just fail I never grow or learn from it.

1 Like

Good feelings don’t accompany failure so it’s completely understandable to be afraid of it. Failure is a way to grow but it doesn’t determine any qualities about you. If it’s something you’re proud of then it’s not a failure. If you come back and are cringing while reading it, then maybe that’s a sign that you’ve developed as a writer.

Yeah that’s true I just wish I could stop being so hard on myself I don’t know how not to be.

1 Like

I’m hard on myself, too. I think it’ll probably come with time and finding a healthy view of yourself. But again, your writing is like art and art isn’t always perfect. Striving for perfection will only set yourself up for failure. Have some expectations of yourself but don’t overload yourself with “this has to be exactly like this” etc. Think of them more as goals, maybe

Yeah that’s definitely one of my biggest problems I always feel that things have to go perfectly the first time.

1 Like

It’s good to have a structure and a vision, but it won’t always be exactly how you wanted it. That’s just how art works. It’s okay for things to take a different direction because then you’ll have even more ideas. Or sometimes whatever is on our minds can influence it. Or inspiration. Even if it’s not perfect, you could have more ideas or more to go off of. And again, you can always go back and change things around.

1 Like