How to know if your antidepressant is working

Hi Everyone

I struggle with depression and I was put on an antidepressant, Serdep. It’s been six weeks and my psychiatrist said that’s when it reaches maximum effect. There was a slight improvement at first.

The problem is I still feel disconnected from life and my mood is still low. I feel like I’m just existing, not enjoying things that I used to. I’m also am struggling with fatigue.

How do you know if an antidepressant is not working? Has anyone had a similar experience?

6 Likes

Hi Patches23
I have been on several different antidepressants. Some worked in the beginning and lost effect later. Some had made me worse at first and then better. Some made me numb. Its also about the dosage. I think you should talk to your doctor about your medication. Most antidepressants should have allready worked by this point. I think either a higher dosage or a new type would be good for you. I hope it all goes well and you will find the one that works soon .

2 Likes

I’ve been on so many anti-depressants and most of them helped for a little while or didn’t help at all. I think you can tell when you feel your mood getting better, at least that’s how it works for me. If you still feel the same as you did before you went on your meds, it’s a pretty good chance that you need to talk to your doctor some more and see what they think. Meds don’t work for everyone the same way and there are a lot of different options.

I hope you figure it out.

2 Likes

Did you eventually find something that worked?

1 Like

Have a talk with your dr because maybe the fatigue ect could pass, but if it’s not normal for that to happen they can direct to something else. The hardest part is that you have to usually have a waiting period of weening off one and onto another, and then have to wait for the next to kick in. There are sooooo many different varieties that is bound to be one that works for you. Don’t be discouraged, I totally understand the absolute ordeal it can be and the toll it can take on you.
Don’t give up! We are here for you

2 Likes

Thank you for the support everyone. I’m going to schedule an earlier consultation with my doctor.

3 Likes

Hey @Patches23,

Checking in on you. How are you doing since your last post?

You’re loved. :hrtlegolove:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 365 days. New replies are no longer allowed.