How to support a transgender sibiling?

My younger sibiling is trans F to M. The issue is they can’t move out and transition because of financial reasons. We are all adults but in our culture it is normal to live with your parents as adults. What should I do for help? I am also suffering from mental illness and not working atm. I also live in Canada and not sure if the government would help with this issue.


I think the best you can do is to try and show them that you’re there for them, and maybe giving them a few clothes that reflect their gender better if they don’t have any. If they didn’t come out to the rest of family, I recommend things like t-shirts or boxers, that way it’s less obvious for others, but can be more comfortable for them. I can also recommend sport bras, which can work like binders, but are cheaper and again - less obvious to people who don’t know about them.

From: Ash (Discord)

Leila.moon first off you are a wonderful sibling to help this sibling like this. I as a trans ftm as well will say that sometimes something that seems hard is to battle issues like my cycle or feel as if I am who I want to be. Perhaps talk to them about names that they would like to be called. If they are in a family that doesnt accept them it can be a conversation between you and them. Well him. Also if you are able to be that source that shares to them that they are still he/him/his and not what others call him. It is not easy to know what to do. I know it seems you have no job or money perhaps drawing a picture of how they view themselves can help too something to remind them they are still him. I dont know much about the canada government but I do know a lot of stuff to help aid. Give them resources there are tons of instagrams of trans folks and others and on facebook. The trevor project here in the US is amazing resource.

This topic was automatically closed after 365 days. New replies are no longer allowed.