I broke up with my boyfriend on our anniversary and regretted it but he thinks its a good idea

On me and my boyfriends 1 year and 4 months I got upset with my boyfriend about all his friends hating me. If you would like to know why I have zero clue I never talked to any of them yet they all call me toxic, they mess with me, and say they wish that me and him would break up. After I said I wanted to all he said was, “Are you sure?” and I said I don’t know because I was extremely confused I wanted to work things out. So I said that if he could tell me why he thinks his friends would say this and what could have caused this since they don’t even know me and he said he couldn’t. I have suspicions though that he was telling them everything bad about me. For context though, in the year and almost a half we were together we almost broke up 1-2 times and he never acted like this before the times before he would try and fix things and we would resolve things eventually, but this time he didn’t even try to resolve anything. Also before anyone says that I should talk to him about the topic of his friends saying this stuff about me, we have very frequently because this is not the first time. I expected that maybe that this time I proposed breaking up we could work on it or break up a little later since it is the middle of the week and I would not be able to sleep and I have a test coming up. But he didn’t even try to talk and went straight to “Do you want me to delete all your pictures?” “Should I unfollow you on stuff?” “Should I change my password?” and so on. Which weirded me out because we didn’t even have a full conversation he was almost acting like how a guy should act if he cheated on you just skipping over everything because what’s the point of talking if he cheated but he didn’t even do anything that bad. I kept texting him about stuff after that regarding the break up of why he was acting like that and how he feels and all I got in replies was “I dont know” “I dont know what to say” “What do you want me to say” “I understand” and more as I was pouring my heart out explaining things. Randomly though he stopped responding and turns out he fell asleep right in the middle of us discussing our break up, or should I say just me. While he was sleeping, I was thinking about it and realized since he isn’t really talking much about it and having a full conversation that we should honestly try and repair things because it isn’t that big of a deal and he is having a hard time communicating about it. So, I sent him a paragraph explaining why I have changed my mind and why it isn’t a good idea right now. Keep in mind I had to write in all caps “PLEASE READ THIS PARAGRAPH” because he wouldn’t read like any of my other messages. Once this paragraph was sent he read it almost immediately followed up with a paragraph from him which is really random that it came so quickly he was probably typing it before. To sum up his paragraph it said that he understands that im confused and that he LOVED me which is really weird because you don’t just stop loving someone just like that he literally said he loved me earlier that day. But anyways his paragraph also said that we are 2 very different people and I deserve better and can find a better man, that he needs to work on himself and he needs to improve himself. Which I didn’t realize until now is literally the epitome of a male break up text. But after he said that I was kind of confused of where we stood since both of our paragraphs said completely different things. I wanted to fix things and apparently he meant that he wants to break up. There was more texts later about how things will work out. And looking again theres really no clear indicator of a “were broken up” other than things we said that basically mean that. As of now he is fast asleep and I should have been to sleep hours ago but I can’t seem to stop crying. If your too lazy to read everything, to sum it up I am in desperate need of support on break ups I don’t think I will ever get over him. :warning:Keep in mind I am still very young I am in highschool :warning:.

IM VERY SORRY ABOUT MY GRAMMAR AND EVERYTHING I AM SEVERELY TIRED

Welcome to heart support anonymous.
I’m glad you’ve decided to reach out and get all this off your chest, relationships are work, sometimes easier work and sometimes very hard work.
I think one difficulty everyone faces at one time or another is talking with friends about relationships. There’s a fine line of venting and needing advice and painting someone as a bad person. Whether or not this was the case, I am in no position to say, but I understand why it would be so hurtful to have friends be unkind.

I understand that breaks up are difficult even from the perspective of the person doing the break up.
There’s nothing easy about leaving behind a relationship and all the time, effort and love we put into them.

It sounds like when you initially brought up the break up his response was very different from what you’ve experience previously when the subject has been brought up. You’ve mentioned in the past his reaction has been to talk and to want to work on things to fix it, but this time he more or less was resigned to the breakup and even stopped responding all together.

When I read about his response and the comments that he said about being different people and working in himself does seem like it’s indicative of home accepting the end of the relationship.

You mentioned that he has said he “loved” you and that you don’t just stop loving someone. Which may be true, there could be a slow loss of the feelings that were at the start of a relationship. Sometimes we attempt to work through the fading feelings and sometimes doing so does help reignite the same passion and love, but sometimes it feels like it slips further away. And that is okay and valid.

It can be very difficult to accept and heal from the end of a relationship. It’s a grieving process in a sense and it’s perfectly valid to go through all the stages. They take some time to process and to work through. And really, they aren’t linear. As much as it would be so nice to breeze through them and get to the acceptance part, we are incredibly complex beings with complex emotions and feelings.
Surround yourself in this time with some good friends and good family. It mate take some time to process and heal, but it is possible and we always learn from relationships. We learn better how to communicate, what our needs and boundaries are, how to listen to their needs and boundaries. We take small pieces of the healthy parts with us

1 Like

Thank you so much for your reply and positive feedback! The whole “loved” you thing just shocked me since he said that day he loved me, not even an hour before he said that. It turns out now that he was just waiting for me to break up with him. And when I regretted it he decided to just say stuff so I wouldn’t change my mind. Again thank you for your advice and I am already doing a lot better since I have more closure about him actually just waiting for me to do it.

2 Likes

How are you doing since this post? I’m proud of you for taking the time to process all of this, it’s not easy and honestly I know when a shift like this happens it can take me a while to go through all the processes of grief and acceptance.

I just want to encourage you that it’s not because of something you have done to deserve it. Compatibility shifts from person to person and from different seasons in our lives and it’s important to always remember that it’s not because our value is less or that we don’t deserve to be loved