I don't know what to title this

Hi again guys,

I’m lost again. Yesterday was my birthday. First one without my dad and it was REALLY hard. I cried…a lot. And then there’s all this heavy stuff that’s happened over the last 2 days…I had a neuro appointment Monday where I found out he suspects I have inflammation and/or nerve damage in my neck and possibly a weird/rare seizure disorder thats close to impossible to correctly diagnose.

Fast forward to yesterday (again, my birthday). I have been in a virtual intensive outpatient treatment program since September 7th to try to learn better coping than self harm and wanting to die constantly…its been super helpful and I’ve had thee best team but they recommended I go to residential treatment for a while. Found out yesterday that, because of the possible seizures, I no longer qualify for residential. Essentially I’m too medically complex for them. So now I discharge the end of this week and am back to square one…not having a team and struggling.

I don’t know what to do. I keep waking up thinking all of this (everything the last 2yrs…my dad’s death, etc) is a nightmare and I’ll wake up and it’ll all be okay…then it isn’t. It doesn’t change just gets worse.

I really don’t know how much longer I can keep going. Everything hurts so deeply and I’m so tired of fighting. I feel so hopeless and lost. I feel like hope keeps getting within reach then ripped away.

Help?

3 Likes

@TheeCrazyBethy, thank you once again for reaching out. There are these heavy coping mechanisms that you are trying to unlearn, but you also keep practicing vulnerability and opening up, which I really want to emphasize here and celebrate with you. These are heavy times in your life. We will stand with you. There is hope, even when it’s really hard to see it. :hrtlegolove:

Yesterday must have been such a painful day for you. When we are grieving someone we love, birthdays suddenly become bittersweet. It’s been three birthdays that I have gone through without my big brother, and each time it reminds me of the fact that he doesn’t see me growing anymore, that our projects are gone and I can’t hug him, that he won’t be able to see my progress and tell me that he is proud of me again. There’s no word to describe how heartbreaking these reminders are. Though with time there is the hope to learn to embrace these days differently instead of only suffering them. But it takes time. And it’s okay if it takes 1, 2, or even 10 times to get there. It is part of the circumstances in life when we are not required to feel a certain way and there is no timeline to follow. We feel whatever comes. It’s okay to welcome it as it is.

Your tears yesterday were a manifestation of love. Your dad is not forgotten, Beth. He won’t be forgotten. And of course I’ve never met him, but I have no doubt that he would be proud of the constant efforts you’re making in healing. Because that is the only thing we can feel when we read your words here. The steps you take are far from being nothing. It is admirable, inspiring and very strong of you.

Right now you are facing new obstacles. It makes sense to feel like the possibility to keep moving on is costantly taken away from you. If that road could be easier for you, I would trade anything to make it possible. There’s nothing more upsetting and frustrating but to face practical limitations when it comes to getting help, especially when it doesn’t come from us. Not only it must be difficult to process this new diagnosis, but the message that is given to you now is that it should be seen as a problem affecting other dimensions of your life. That is unfortunate, but it’s also definitely not your fault. These are not things you could control, even though it truly makes sense to feel discouraged after hearing this. Though you are still in control regarding how you react in face of these new obstacles. Our first reaction is often to feel discouraged. It triggers some deep hopelesness. But that is not a position you deserve to stay in or be stuck with.

Are services that provide daycare (you are inpatient for the day, but are not admitted for the night - you come back home and then you go back to the service the day after) an option for you? They often do the exact same as residential places, except that people don’t live there for a given time, or only a part of the patients.

Could it be also something you would like to consider? It may not respond to the full need of residential treatment, but it’s often a good alternative when there is an issue or impossibility to be fully admitted. I don’t know either if that is something available where you live or cover by insurances, but it might be worth to have a look at it when you’d feel the energy for it.

Problems and obstacles are challenging, but they are made to be overcome. The solutions may not be apparent immediately. There’s a time of frustration and even despair when it triggers so many painful feelings. Rely on the people who are here to support you in the meantime. Keep reaching out. Rest assured that you are loved and that hope can be built again, little by little. It is not just for others. It is also for you. You’ve been working so hard for it. It is not going to be taken away from you.

You are loved. :hrtlegolove:

3 Likes

There aren’t any services where I live honestly. Everything is 1-3 or more hours away and I don’t drive that far due to anxiety. Getting into an IOP program was ridiculously hard because there was only three that service my area.

But thank you for your words. I cried again reading them. I appreciate you. :heart:

2 Likes

@TheeCrazyBethy

I hope the tears only brought a bit of relief and the warmth of the love that I - and I know others - have for you. You are not alone.

I’m sorry there’s not more services in your area. Although it is far from being uncommon, but it’s still pretty frustrating when it’s about things that are so important. Do you think this outpatient/virtual service could use their own relations to recommend you somewhere? Even just to a similar service that isn’t inpatient. A priority would be to make sure that you maintain a connection with a service or a professional that happens to be really helpful to you, even if it’s still outpatient. It may not be ideal given the recommendation you’ve received, but there might be ways to ensure that you’d keep a solid support system, even if it’s a little bit of a “DIY” process.

What are the things that have been helpful so far with this outpatient treatment? Your takeaways, the things you want to keep with you in the long run and come back to if that is needed. We here could remind you/encourage you to use these resources if you feel like your mind is wandering into some dangerous places sometimes.

Also, there isn’t any pressure to respond if you don’t want to. I know questions can be overwhelming sometimes.

Sending big virtual hugs. :hrtlegolove:

1 Like

I struggle with my emotions becoming very overwhelming very fast so crying isn’t always good for me. I tried to feel my emotions and not get lost in them though.

Thank you so much for your words. I, again, appreciate you!

The IOP I’m in has really helped, yes. I have thee most amazing therapist who has been there for me beyond what he is called to do. I graduate from IOP tomorrow and I have no doubt I’m going to cry and miss him. I wish I could keep him and his team as they’ve done so much for me and made me feel comfortable talking to them which I didn’t imagine was possible after my last 3 therapists/programs traumatized me. This team gave me a list of therapists (regular and trauma ones) that I might be able to get into via telehealth but I’ve not called yet. Residential got thrown back on the table so I’m waiting to see what happens with that.

In this program, I’ve learned grounding skills for my anxiety and psychosis. My therapist has walked me through them late at night when the hallucinations consume me. It’s amazing. Also elsrned reality checking for those moments.

I’m scared of what the future holds but I’m trying my best to just take things as they come and hold on. I’m so appreciative of the support I get here. Thank you.

2 Likes

Thinking of you @TheeCrazyBethy. I hope you manage to hang in there as much as possible and that you can rely on the skills you’ve developped through therapy if/when that is needed. I also hope that telehealth will keep being a thing, just so you maintain some connection and safety with a professional. It’s totally fine to take your time for this. Just make sure you get the support you absolutely deserve.

Holiday season can be rough, so I wanted to send friendly thoughts your way too. You’re not alone. :heart:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 365 days. New replies are no longer allowed.