I feel trapped by the hatred on social media

I hope this doesn’t rub people the wrong way but I have been struggling so much with everything going on with on social media and the news. There is so much tension going and hatred in the media and so much of it is directed at law enforcement. I know this is an unpopular opinion and people have been getting angry when people say that not all cops are bad but my dad and the majorette of my family are in law enforcement and this week I have woken up every day wondering if my dad is going to come home at night. Hes been in law enforcement as long as I have been alive and its a dangerous job. He works in the prison/not on the streets but over the years I’ve had the mental conversations on how I would respond if my dad was killed at work and I always told myself that if I got the news I would be ok because I had prepared for it.

This week though with the protests and riots erupting throughout the country and our state he was told after work that he was getting sent to one of the major cites to help with crowed control. My heart sunk when I head he was getting sent to one of many cites where an officer had already died during a protest that turned into a riot. This all happened so fast I didn’t even get to tell him that I loved him or to tell him to be safe. We couldn’t get a hold of him for hours until we got a text from him saying that he was getting put on an officer line a block away from where a cop was murderer the night before.

The next day he was sent back and I probably shouldn’t have been on social media but I was desperate to get updates on what was going on in the city he was in and I was horrified on some of the things that I saw. Through out the day I was reading so much hate and almost all of it was directed at law enforcement. People were celebrating the death of the officer that had died that week and talking about plans that they had to hurt the officers during the protest squealed for the night my dad was there. At one point during the day people I had a complete panic attack because someone was scoping out the staging area for mutual aid and posting pictures of the uniforms of officers from out of town. I saw my dads uniform in the post and they were telling people to attack officers in his uniform because they were form out of town and if they were separated from the line then they’d be the best targets scene they don’t know there way around the city. I felt so helpless.

I know there is a lot of people angry with law enforcement right now and I can understand that but saying that all cops are part of the problem is just a generalization that leads to hatred. There are no words to describe the feeling I had reading a people say it would be “social justice” to set my dad or the rest of the officers he was with on fire. Or how it would be “social justice” to beating them to death in the streets. Or the feelings myself, my mom, and little sister had when we saw thousands of people at the protest and thinking “If this turns into a riot my dad is going to be outnumbered 100/1 by people hate him because of the uniform.” The night ended peacefully thank God but even after he said he was safe and on his way home I was so anxious I couldn’t breath until he walked inside and I could see him for myself.

Hes back to his normal job now but there is still that chance that he will have to get called back out again. I haven’t had panic attacks like this in months and to be honest at this point the social justice movement or message has been lost on me because even within people who I thought were friends have told me I’m being racist for asking them to pray for my dads safety. Or being called racist for not agreeing that all cops are bad. I’ve been afraid to talk to anyone or even come here because I don’t hate law enforcement. I haven’t thought about self harm in over 5 years but being told that I have to stay silent about my fear and anxiety because the lives of my family members don’t matter has made me feel so trapped and alone.

3 Likes

It’s hard to NOT feel the heat coming off of social media right now. And it’s also really hard to avoid all social media for most people. I hear your pain and anguish over your dad going to work at the protests. I cannot imagine what you, your dad, your family are going through right now. I would feel the need to defend him, as an LEO, but I can also understand how that might not be well-met on social media right now. I know the police officer who used to patrol my neighborhood and ran the connection programs at my schools when I was growing up (long ago, he’s retired now) posted supporting the protests and was very well met in the comments section b/c he was an outstanding member of the force and our community. Has your dad posted his support of the protests on social media at all? It’s so hard not to engage on social media… I hope you are taking time for your own self-care as well! Definitely reach out to your mental health professional and talk through your feelings and find some coping mechanisms that work for you!

2 Likes

I know there is a lot of people angry with law enforcement right now and I can understand that but saying that all cops are part of the problem is just a generalization that leads to hatred.

Of course. Your frustration is totally understandable. You can absolutely understand both positions and still be respectful. I’m living in western Europe, and last year, for almost an entire year there were protests every week in the country I was born in, protests against poverty and the fact that, way before the end of the month, people don’t have enough resources to live. Those protests were followed by a lot of violent situations involving the police, so people talked more and more about police violence through generalizations but also a lot of hatred. And as you said, this only led to more hatred. Hate attracts hate. It even led to situations were protestors would start to target firefighters. Which is insane. And honestly, at some point, I had to stop reading the news and social medias. I took a break. It was needed, and very helpful.

There is a lot, lot of passion here. Lot of resentment, anger, and when deep emotions are involved everyone can easily fall in the trap of violence, wether it’s through actions or words. There are certainly many occasions here and justifications for hatred. But it doesn’t mean it’s the right way to make the best of the situation. Again, just like you, I’m not diminishing the importance of people’s feelings and personal experience of injustice here. Only wondering how we could all, individually but also collectively, make sure that our society in 2021 will be better than 2020.

I’m really sorry you’ve been experiencing this stress for your dad’s safety. Again, it makes sense. A uniform doesn’t make a man. And it’s important to understand both positions here.

even within people who I thought were friends have told me I’m being racist for asking them to pray for my dads safety. Or being called racist for not agreeing that all cops are bad. I’ve been afraid to talk to anyone or even come here because I don’t hate law enforcement.

I can relate to that, somehow. For what it’s worth to share this, I’m a woman, and when there was the #metoo movement I said to some close friends that as much as I found this important - showing up, raising voices, fighting against an injustice, raising awareness about traumas -, I also felt very uncomfortable with people depicting women as being all victims and men being all potential predators. I felt bad when I saw men starting to apologize on social medias while they never did anything wrong in their own life. And again, it’s a personal opinion. But I was criticized because of this. I was told that I was not supporting the cause. Which was ironic, knowing that I was sexually assaulted in the past and understood, in my core, what it implies to actually have the strength to write down and share: “me too”. Being told that I was on the side of rapists was a hard pill to swallow. I definitely lost some friendships at this moment.

When things are very emotional, people expect others to behave in a certain way. And if you don’t, then you’re kind of the enemy, you just don’t fit. It doesn’t mean that someone is more right or wrong than another person. Only that misunderstandings can happen easily. Personally, I refuse to accept those kind of categories. This world needs to fight against injustices. So much. But it also needs nuances, subtelty. Because it’s about human lives here, and it matters too much to fall into the trap of simplicity.

What I see through your message is not about picking sides. It’s about standing up for life, for the hope that this situation will lead to positive changes, so the lessons will be learned, so the people who died would not have disappeared in vain. Honoring their memory in a right way is the least we can do.

I’m sorry you had to deal with so much anxiety though. I can only imagine how stressful it is for you right now. Maybe stepping back at least from social medias could be needed at this point. I know it’s hard not to read everything and also every comment. Being informed is a way to keep a feeling of being in control. But if it nourrishes your anxiety, then it’s not worth it, it doesn’t bring anything good to you. The circumstances are stressful enough. Make sure your mental health is a priority here. Focus on what is essential to you. It’s not selfish to do that.

2 Likes

Thank you MommaFoxFire :heart:
he hasn’t posted anything but that is because he doesn’t have social media. We have had problems in the past with former inmates trying to brake into our house when they found out were my dad lives. A lot of officers don’t have social media because it protects them and there family’s.

2 Likes

thank you so much Micro, what you said meant a lot I really wish that there could be a middle ground some where. I felt a similar way as you when the #metoo movement was happening to. Sometimes it feels like both “sides” of any major social issue try to disconnect each other from humanity and its hard feeling trapped in the middle. Your right and I should probably try and step back from social media for a little bit.

3 Likes