I Got Irritated

I have come a long way from where I was 1 year ago. My mother told me she was going to make a new Facebook profile she added a friend we know mutually. Than like an hour later she goes on a tirade merely for a post I made on a heavy metal band, my mom is 81 years old and is very socially conservative made a big deal about it and then she made another big deal about my long hair on my profile pic and she didn’t like that I posted I’m no longer Jewish anymore I’m Christian now. I’m 36 going on 37 she should not be so anti social media especially when I wasn’t posting anything vulgar or obscene. I think I handled it well but still I’m irritated by her tantrums.

2 Likes

I think it’s totally normal that you feel irritated by her commentary on things you like and feel passionate about. Its just a normal human feeling. Let yourself feel this emotion, you shouldn’t suppress it, since it could develop in emotional instability and overall unhappiness. She is 81 years old, which means that her beliefs, feelings and thoughts are not going to change, or at least they won’t do so easily. I myself deal with my family that is really conservative and doesn’t accept anything that is not the “norm”. I feel irritated, mad actually, whenever they butt into my business, but I understand that they are my family and I should just not listen to what they say. Go on my own way not caring about their opinion. Tell them: Oh, okey. I will consider that

2 Likes

It’s absolutely OK to feel irritated with your mom. It can be hard when you have different views from someone you’re so close with. As long as you are honoring her opinions with space to breathe, hopefully she will do the same with time. Even if she doesn’t, frustration is understandable when she’s new to social media and doesn’t “get” it - on both your parts!

1 Like