I have a problem with alcohol

This is a topic from YOUTUBE. Reply as normal, and we will post it to the user on YouTube.

Belongs to: Therapist gets Sober by Tool
I have a problem with alcohol

1 Like

Hi @HeartSupport_Fans,

You aren’t the person alone that struggles with drinking. It’s difficult to stop drinking because it’s social activity. Everyone drink for numerous of reason like a party & holiday. I totally can relate to your statement. Last year, I knew it was time for me to stop drinking alcohol. Drinking alcohol ruined my mental health. I always have panic attacks when drinking. It wasn’t good for me. People got to remember that alcohol is a drug. I tried to be sober numerous of times last year. December was wake-up call for me to be sober.

I don’t stop others from drinking if they enjoy it. Just remember to drink it moderately. Don’t drink while driving, you can impact someone’s life. You have to decide if you want to continue drinking or be sober. I will support in whatever decision that you will make. Everyone goes through a different journey being sober. There are a lot of apps out there to keep track being sober. I also used a sober app too. You do whatever method to help you stay sober. Reward yourself when been sober for a few weeks or months. It makes you feel motivated and rewarding.

I have a few questions for you. Why do you feel if you have a problem with alcohol? What is making drinking a lot? What activities or hobbies that you can do instead of drinking? What are other drinks that you like besides alcohol? I hope you stay strong and just be careful with alcohol.

@@HeartSupport I was born in a cult AKA (Jehovah’s Witnesses) for one. It’s one of the worst cults. I’m trying to figure things out and I will be 46 next month.

Hey friend,

Thank you so much for being here and sharing this. You took a major step by acknowledging the issue - and some of the root causes behind it, which is very courageous of you. With alcohol especially, we can be stuck in denial for so long, if not for our entire life. It feeds on the illusion that it gives us something powerful, something to numb what feels unbearable, until our emotional tolerance become smaller and smaller. In light of what you’ve been through with Jehovah’s Witnesses, it makes even more sense that alcohol turned out to be a refuge to you. Traumatic experiences and upbringing push us to look outside of ourselves for solutions, or at least ways to feel better. Having grown in an abusive environment, I often find myself as an adult as being on the limits of addiction. It feels like there’s this vulnerability in me that pushes me to seek ways to soothe myself, to ease this darkness that seems to overtake everything in my mind sometimes. I don’t know if this is a similar experience to you, but my heart surely goes out to you as you battle demons and hurt you never asked for. Through all of this, you have been and are trying your best to survive with the tools you were given. Maybe this post and practicing being open about your struggles with alcohol could open a new path for you - one made of healing that you’ve been longing for, but also support from others. You certainly don’t have to walk through this journey just on your own.

If you’d like to share more, please feel free to do so. You have a community here willing to support you. :heart:

I’m in an impossible situation. No one would understand cults unless you were in one. It’s complex. It feels like I lost my childhood to the cult. The future I was promised is gone, too. I’m sort of okay with it, but the people I love aren’t where I am at. This cult kills people in more ways than one.

1 Like

My wife still believes in the JWs too

1 Like

It must feel very lonely and isolating… seeing people you love, and even share your life with, that are still devoting a part of their heart and of themselves to something that you have experienced as being absolutely destructive. You see the lies, the manipulation and the damage while people you care about don’t see things as you do.

As you said it’s like you have grown yourself out of this cult, followed your own trajectory, but people you love keep being stuck in the same place way behind you. So the more you keep moving forward, the more distance it creates between you and them, the more it becomes difficult to communicate - or at least to feel like being at the same level of communication.

If you don’t mind me asking, how are things going with your wife? Do you manage to talk about it openly, or does it tend to remain something you’d avoid discussing? I imagine it’s the kind of topic that can bring its share of hurt and conflict, and could be delicate to approach.