I-have-that-stuff-all-the-time-it-s-the-worst-anxie

This is a topic from INSTAGRAM. Reply as normal, and we will post it to the user on Instagram.

Belongs to: https://forum.heartsupport.com/t/36235
I have that shit all the time it’s the worst. Anxiety can shift too. Sometimes it feels like derealization like I’m fading into nothingness and dying. Breathless or heart attack. It’s a great time. Nothing beats CBT therapy and mediation long term but here’s some things that help me. Drinking warm water relaxes the nervous system/ eases anxiety. Cold water to the face can trigger the dive response which can help slow breathing. The box breathing or 478 breathing method can help. Journaling your thoughts can help too. I do all of these things. Some great books: master of your anxiety and panic by treatments that work, the anxious truth. Hope you all are doing good.

2 Likes

Yeah - the part of it happening all the time is the worst. To feel like you have all of these tools, and you’re fighting to mitigate it, but it’ll still happen in the next moment, and in the next. To know that it is just a part of your daily life is the hardest weight to carry because if you pick your head up from the present moment and try to look on the horizon for HOPE, it just feels so fucking defeating. Like, damn, I’m going to have to deal with this for…ever?? But when you have tools like that it is helpful to reground in the present - I can’t deal with every thought I’m ever going to have, but I can deal with THIS one, and THIS one. And when you look BACK you can find hope because you can see - wow, I am stronger and more resilient than I used to be. Things that used to totally take me out don’t anymore. I am at least growing. And that kind of hope can combat the feelings of despair of future-casting. Love that you have so much strength in this fight and that you are growing. Thank you for sharing.

Anxiety and panic are so hard, especially when it’s happening so frequently. Your determination to fight back against this beast is huge in seeing it get better. Bravo! Keep fighting. Thank you for sharing the things that help you. It truly gives others tools to use to keep the symptoms at bay when they come rolling in. Keep the fight up and thank you again for sharing your wisdom.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing your coping skills with us today. Glad I can bump this post to show others what can possibly work for them too.

I’m definitely going to try some of these myself, actually.

2 Likes

I just wanted to thank you for your post! Even though you’re going through some hard times and things can get overwhelming, you have these grounding tools you can use to help you through. It’s not always easy and it’s not always a quick fix, but the fact that you’re recognising what works for you is really amazing! Again, thank you so much for sharing this with us

1 Like

It sounds like you have a lot of great coping skills, that’s really great!

2 Likes

@heartsupportwall3 I appreciate all of you guys creating a community that sheds a light on these things. You’re letting people know they aren’t alone and I can guarantee that is saving lives. So thank you guys for being here.

3 Likes

Thank you for even sharing all of this in the first place. It is the expression of your vulnerability, of your bravery, and even your kindness, that make these connections possible. It is truly inspiring, and when someone opens up about something difficult, they deserve to be heard, to feel safe, respected and honored. Especially in a world where displaying vulnerability is too often perceived as a weakness, while it’s the opposite. I’m sorry that you’ve been struggling with such intense anxiety by the way. There were times/seasons in my life when I definitely had these attacks that made me believe I was having a heart attack (with all the “oh my gosh should I call the emergencies? but what if it’s not urgent?” thought train). I’d definitely second the cold water – or even fresh air to breathe outside during winter. It’s so effective, especially when I can’t seem to be able to stop the rush of thoughts in my mind that creates the anxiety. I’d definitely have a look at the book you’ve shared! On my end, I’d absolutely recommend “The Wisdom of Anxiety”. It is a warm, loving approach to practice learning yourself through your anxiety, and seeing that it makes sense why it’s there.

Wishing you all the best in this journey. If you ever need support or even just a place to vent your thoughts, the Heartsupport community will always be willingto listen. <3