I need advice

So my Counselor has canceled on me 40 times now and I
Don’t know what to do.

2 Likes

Is your counselor in private practice, or part of an organization? Do you have a record of the cancellations? If it’s a private practice counselor, it sounds like your best option is to find another one. If your counselor is part of an organization, it might be worth getting in touch with the organization’s administration, and explain what’s going on. Another thought is to ask your regular doctor for a referral to a different counselor or counseling practice.

Hey! Thanks for reaching out to Heartsupport!

Is It possible that your counselor is busy or dealing with other clients. If not then I recommend you get a new one. Like @Wings said if it’s your counselor organization then you may need to talk to the administration.

Thanks again for reaching out .

REGARDS
Cream.

This is just a personal perspective of course, but if it was happening to me, I would consider 40 cancellations as being far beyond an acceptable limit and just the signal that the relationship has stopped somehow. At this point, it sounds like it would be easier for them to communicate if they can’t or don’t want to meet anymore - which would both be okay, but at least communicated directly and openly so you would have a better idea of what’s to expect moving forward.

If you have the possibility to find a new counselor, I would surely encourage you to consider this option.

Your counselor cancelling on you over 40 times is just downright unprofessional. Your care is just as important and a provider who cannot meet the basic standards of care shouldn’t be your counselor. Not sure what resources are available for finding a new counselor in your area, but a starting point could be simply just be checking online what other counselors are accepting new patients in your area.

Nevertheless without knowing the full context of the situation beyond what you shared ill leave my input there. Feel free to keep reaching out though if you need any further input. We’re here for you friend!

1 Like

i think you had mentioned that you were supposed to be seeing this therapist every two weeks? Does that mean that you haven’t seen them for over a year?
Or has the 40 times been in retrying to schedule a new appointment since the last time?

40 times is a lot. I hope that you are able to look for someone new who will stick to the appointments because it is much more helpful and useful if there is consistency.