I-ve-been-very-hard-on-myself-for-a-long-time-prob - 2148

This is a topic from FACEBOOK. Reply as normal, and we will post it to the user on FACEBOOK.

Belongs to: https://forum.heartsupport.com/t/40477
I’ve been very hard on myself for a long time, probably going back to my teens. I constantly battle with the “I’m not good enough” voices in my head. I tend to put my focus on everyone around me, supporting them and caring for them, and leaving my self care last.

Over the last couple of months I’ve been working on getting into a better mindset, reading more, and trying to be more confident in myself. As sappy as it sounds, one of my most recent turning points was Beartooth’s new song “Might Love Myself”. The first time hearing it, I cried my eyes out. Because I’m beginning to believe in myself again and what I’m capable of. I think I still have a long way to go, but for the first time in a very long time, I feel like I’m feeling better about myself.

2 Likes

I am so very glad that you are believing in yourself. In public, it generally seems as though everyone is projecting confidence, but I’m pretty sure most of them are actually finding it challenging to have confidence.

Working on yourself is a lifelong project and it’s one of the most rewarding things you will ever do.

It’s probably okay to postpone self-care for a bit, but when it crosses the threshold to self-neglect you aren’t being fair to yourself.

The problem with the “I’m not good enough” voices is, as you support others, it’s easy to believe that the support you offer is of diminished value. If you sense yourself as a person of integrity, wisdom, resourcefulness and compassion, which by the way is the reality of who you are, the support you offer others will be more effective and valued.

Thanks for the good news!

Hey, It is so hard to rid yourself of that “im not good enough” feeling that so many seem to carry around so I am so proud of you for working so hard on this and making improvements. Perhaps when you feel super confident, you can write a post about how you did it and encourage others to do the same.
Thank you for this post and best of luck. Lisa x

1 Like

Thank you for sharing! Confidence in yourself is key! And totally agreed about that Beartooth song! My “awakening” was listening to Memphis May Fire at HSF. Just the aura around that band (not to mention the festival itself) brought so much positivity to me and gave me a much better mindset!

Just remember, its a marathon, not a sprint. Keep doing what you’re doing and you’re gonna be amazing!

1 Like