I want to give up

Hi friends,

Those of you who know me know that I mentioned that I was quite proud of this paper I was ready to submit to a journal recently. I know my username is Dr_Hogarth, but my PhD work got delayed during covid, so I’m just really Nearly Dr Hogarth. So, this last piece of work is for my thesis and finalising the PhD.

Today, my supervisor pointed out something I should check in the results and it’s just ruined the whole premise of this last piece of the work. I feel so fucking stupid. There are so many elements to the work, but this is one I should have noticed. I broke down at work and said I feel like quitting my PhD after nearly 5 years. I was so nearly finished, the paper looked so good and all the work had come together and seemed worthwhile. Now, I don’t even know what I can salvage. I came home and have taken double the normal dose of Lorazepam that I take for anxiety as I just wanted to fall asleep, but it hasn’t worked. I want to take more, but I haven’t.

All my feelings of not being good enough are flooding through my mind. My Dad is fucking right not to give a shit about me; I’m alone because I am worthless, stupid and pathetic for ever thinking I could do anything important. Literally the only person who cares about me irl is my Mum; I’m nearly 30 and I have no friends, no partner, no one wants to know me. I thought about just tying my dog outside the neighbour’s house and walking in front of a train. I can’t do that to my Mum while she’s on holiday though. It wouldn’t be fair to her or to my dog who would be scared.

I don’t know what to do now. I’m alone and I’m very distressed. My Autism is probably making this worse as sudden changes to plans cause me distress as it is, even without the rest of the emotional baggage.

I’m sorry, I don’t know why I’m writing this. I just want to feel less alone with this I guess.

8 Likes

Oh, friend… I am so, so sorry that you’re going through this right now. I know that this moment feels so heavy. And in a lot of ways, it is a heavy moment. I don’t know if you’re a musical theatre person like I am, but in the musical Hamilton one of my favorite lines says “There are moments that words don’t reach”. And I feel like there’s nothing I could say to you in this moment that would reach you in the way that I would like for it to.
I want you to know that I’ve been right where you are. I’m in my late 30’s and I’ve still got a few years to go before I finish my PhD. I don’t tell you that to take away from your experience. I’m sharing this with you because I want you to know that you’re not alone. I also have ASD and ADHD. The amount of times that I’ve had to stop school and start again is just wildly frustrating. I also don’t have a relationship at all with my dad. And most of my friends are people that I’ve met in this community. All of that said, I just want you to know that I hear you and I see you. I would never think you were anything less than a strong, brave, incredible human.
These moments in life when we feel like we’ve ruined everything always feel so huge. But please try to find grace for yourself. You deserve grace. I’m sure that you would tell anyone else who was experiencing this the very same thing. You are so loved and cared for by this community. I’m sure you’ll see all of that love pouring in for you. I also hope that you’ll reach out to your mum. I know you said she’s on holiday but I’m sure she’d love to be there for you right now more than anything else.
You’re never alone. Please reach out anytime.

4 Likes

When you’re in the homestretch of something, you do a mental calculation for how much energy you have left and how far away the finish line is. And then you pace yourself at a higher rate because you KNOW that relief is coming. It’s RIGHT THERE. So…push!

You gassed yourself. So excited, so proud of yourself. I’m NEARLY THERE. Hope. Excitement. JOY. Thinking about your future.

Then someone moves the finish line. Or pushes you down the mountain. You don’t fall to the bottom, but you land on a cliff, and the air is knocked out of you, and you’re so FUCKING exhausted because…well…you just gave it all you had. And now you’re worse than you were, injured from the fall, gassed from the endline exertion. And alone. And ashamed. You feel like you should have seen this coming. You hate yourself for making this mistake. You could have prevented this. You hate this fucking paper for not being done already. You hate where you are. That you don’t have the relationships you want. That you don’t feel like anyone cares. You’re lost. And you feel incredibly behind in life. Compared to your own expectations, and your own hopes.

And now, you’re looking over the edge of the cliff, and you’re looking up the mountain, and you’re comparing the two. Is it worth it to get back up and keep climbing? I don’t think I have it in me. And you look down the edge, and you think - I should just fucking jump. Who fucking cares anyways.

It’s anger.
It’s exhaustion.
It’s deep…deep sadness.
Wishing life to be fair, but being dealt this nightmare.

This setback feels like the end.

But in another way it doesn’t, in another way it feels like you just want to RAGE against life. You feel encaged, and you want to rattle the bars. You want to scream till your throat goes hoarse. You want to curl up in a ball and weep.

And honestly, friend, I think it’s okay to do that. To feel those things. It’s not fucking fair to have this last-minute setback, when you were || this close. It’s not fair to labor for 5 years with no satisfaction. It’s not fucking fair to feel so fucking alone in it all.

I think it’s okay to feel these feelings.

Honestly, maybe that’s what this cliff is for? Maybe it’s to scream, so your voice can be amplified. So you can throw rocks and vent your anger. To cry, to fall asleep, to catch your breath. Maybe it’s okay to not expect yourself to just yeet back up the mountain.

Maybe it’s a place where you can extend yourself some kindness. To let your feet hang over the edge and to look down and APPRECIATE how far you’ve come. Marvel at how strong you are. Maybe it’s a place to express some gratitude for the process, how much you’ve changed. Maybe it’s a place to learn a measure of respect for yourself, even love. You’re amazing. What a journey.

And then maybe when the time is right, you can turn back around and finish what you started. Because it’s worth it, and you’re worth it. And things are going to be okay in the end.

But I wouldn’t miss the opportunity to let this cliff teach you something about yourself. You’re amazing.

-nate

5 Likes

Hi Dr. ,
with or without a paper, with or without a title, you know what matters here, what matters to the world is heart.
and you have heart and you show that.
yes , there is a huge amount of time and work in that. nothing will ever go perfect. take a step aside at the moment,
and take care of yourself now, you are most important.
yes , at the moment you might feel alone and distressed.
but
you are more then good enough. i don’t know your dad, i do not know the circumstances back then, what i know
from you, what you showed and what you believe in, he is missing on a wonderful daughter that he absolutely should be fuc**** proud of. he is missing on a huge chapter on his journey that you have achieved in yours.
i am proud of you. we are proud of you. :purple_heart:
in life there are times where everything seems to come together, many can relate to that. often we do not see something good. giving up seems as an easy option, but we all know it is not. what you leave behind are just ruins
and pain for the people that love you. for the people you love. for the D-Bear. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
you reached my heart with that painting, and i can proudly say that i have the original D-Bear Paw Prints. Something that will ever and always have a special place in my heart, i was so touched for what you did for me.
the less we know from each other, but also so much, from what i see in you is that you care so much for others, for your family and friends, for this community, that is what should matter more in life. life is already and will ever be hard enough by our own. life is the most random shitload that we could ever imagine. but in life we also see so much
beauty that could be, so much kindness and bloom. you are part of that, you are beautiful the way you are.
don’t look back at the moment. focus on yourself, that is what matters most. you spread so much awareness and shared that with us, now be aware that you need some self care. reach out if things get to much, there is no shame in it, that is human in the end. we all are humans.
if i ever go to the UK again, you should better hide, i will hug the hell out of you and cuddle Daisy even if she might not recognize me. i am the reason, Waldo is hiding.
you are loved :purple_heart: you matter to people, to me, to this community.
you are to be held, and not to be missed my friend. lots of love and thoughts to you :purple_heart:

4 Likes

Hello Dr hogarth

I think that you are an amazing human being. To accomplish what you have already accomplished is a feat in itself. You must have put much time and effort into your paper, for it to not be as complete as you thought, and potentially lose some of that work. That has got to be gut wrenching in the moment. I’m glad you chose to not take too much medicine. You are so far a long in school, and so close. You are not stupid, you have already accomplished so much. Just one last hurdle. You can do it.

It no fun what you have going on with your dad, but I think it is awesome that you have a mom to care about you. I’m close to my mom too, maybe yours might have some insight on the paper situation? To me, I see someone who has a lot of worth. Someone intelligent who has accomplished things that would be hard for me myself to accomplish. I also deal with loneliness frequently. I do not have a lot of people in my IRL either. I built most of my strongest relationships through gaming online.

I find your story to be interesting, and find value you in your sharing of it. I can’t speak for everyone else in the world, but I enjoy even just getting to know you here. Hope your spirits can lift some. I think you are a person to be proud of.

3 Likes

Sweet Wonderful Friend
Everyone here has said so much, every word of it true so I am going to keep this very short. I agree with all of that and I am here for you always, you are loved beyond measure, never alone and an incredible human being. xxxx

3 Likes

Thank you everyone. I don’t have the words rn to describe how much you all mean to me. I’m going to go to bed now and see if some rest makes things seem more manageable. x

5 Likes

Hope the rest helps you, friend.

A big upset to the plans must be difficult to accept, but hey, another way to look at it is that your sup caught it in time, and you will be able to adjust and correct once you’re ready to do so.

it’s so hard when you’re close to the finish line. Thats when the dust blows hardest in your face.
You don’t need a PhD to be worthy, your value and worth is priceless. You made a difference with every supportive word you’ve shared here!

You’re loved @dr_hogarth

3 Likes

I fully agree with everything that’s been said so far. You have made a huge mental and emotional investment into this project, not to mention all the physical work involved. My neighbor is trying to get his PhD in criminology. He been at it with repeated setbacks for seven years. He’s had his thesis kicked back at him several times. Every time it happens, he feels that it’s helping him reach his goal.

I see you succeeding in the end. I also see every setback providing you with extra wisdom and ultimately increasing the value of your experience along with your PhD.

2 Likes

Dearest @dr_hogarth,

Sudden changes suck and can be really tough to handle, especially when it’s connected to something so important and for which you have dedicated time, energy and sweat over the years. It doesn’t just make you re-evaluate your work and your actions, but you as a person. It triggers this all-or-nothing thinking that makes you believe that everything you do is trash, that everyone who didn’t love you as you should have were right, and therefore that you should disappear. But somehow you also know that these connections are wrong - even when they feel right. You do reach out even when everything in your mind and body is telling you the opposite. You are not just intellectually brilliant, friend, you are also emotionally intelligent. And for that, for YOU, I’m so very thankful because you are here and you show up despite such a rush of emotions and thoughts. This is who you are. This is strength. This is your beauty, that may not appear on any of the work you’ll do, but that we see here too.

Finalising a PhD is exhausting. It does take a toll on our mental health and is so freaking challenging. The support that we need during these significant life “rituals” and transitions should be so much more present. It makes completely sense to feel more on edge and overwhelmed by all of it. It’s like you’ve been building this important construction for years that gets higher and higher, but the more you add to it and the more you feel scared that the latest addition will make everything collapse. Feeling this way is understandable as there is more to lose in case something goes wrong. It shows how much you care, and how passionate and dedicated you are. That you’re not doing this for a title, but because you actually care about making a difference, making other people think thanks to your work, and use your wonderful mind for the betterness of your field - and of this world. That also speaks a lot about how inspiring you are!

Your dad wasn’t right. He missed out on the possibility to become a better human being thanks to you. He missed out on the possibility to embrace the beauty of unconditional love, and the fact that it lifts mountains. He may never become aware of this, but that is only his responsibility and the result of his decisions. His behavior, his choices when it comes to love were never because of you. They were because of him, his impossibility (or unwillingness) to see you. His denial. His insecurities. His story… and whatever else needs to be put there. But it’s not because of you, no matter what he told you to justify his poor thinking. Your mom and your friends here in this community will keep proving you that he was an exception to unconditional love, and that exceptions don’t make the rules. You do. And rejection of any kind does not need to hold any space in your mind, in your world.

You are so worthy, my friend. You radiate love, beauty and passion wherever you go. When I think of you, I think of someone who has strong ethics and is ready to live according to their values, all in a world that makes it really hard to embrace morality. This change that may need to happen with your work is for now this unpredicted and heavy rock that fell in front of you. Please don’t let it fall on you. Sit down, cry, scream, hug your lovely doggo, feel all that needs to be felt. But as you do please know that you are not alone on that road, but surrounded by friends who are willing to hug you, and to keep cheering you up when you’ll be back on your feet. You’re not walking alone. We’re doing life together. Slow down, feel, then there will be an appropriate time to strategize and build your own blueprints for a new invention: the tools that will help you break down this rock and swipe it away piece by piece.

This happened during a process that is meant to face those unfortunate rocks. You are worthy and intelligent, and it is because you are that you also keep learning from what you do. You’ll always do, whether you are Nearly Dr Hogarth or Officially Dr Hogarth. Right now, this event feels like a huge obstacle that sabotages you. With time, patience and care for yourself, you may start to see it as an opportunity to do an even-better-work, because this specific issue would have already been anticipated, and not a source of surprise during your thesis defense. Who knows, maybe it’s going to arm you with a new weapon and make you feel even more confident that day?

I of course don’t know the specifics of your work, but I can tell that you are brilliant and smart because you are to this point of your journey. I am SO proud of you. Of what you do, of knowing you, of calling you my friend and for your openness about these distressing times. If it feels lonely, you will always have a place to land here, rest, feel loved and energized again.

Regardless of what your work looks like in the future, no matter the decisions you take regarding your PhD, I will always be proud of you. Because you are not just Dr Hogarth, you are also you. And you my friend, is a world changer. You belong, so very much. :hrtlegolove:

3 Likes

@dr_hogarth

Oh my amazing wonderful friend, biggest hugs ever for you. The frustration, the anger, the heartache, the feelings that tell you that you’re a fraud and a fake - I understand those feelings and why they are wanting to take charge and be in control. You have worked, and worked, and worked and put all of you toward getting to this place. And it feels like a face plant just a few steps from the finish line. Oh the embarrassment. Yeah, I can feel that with you. EXCEPT - failure only happens when you don’t get back up.

So now that you’ve had a set back in your career, you’re applying the same level of emotional misinformation to your whole life and being. And I see that as a big mistake. Can I tell you what I see?

I see someone who is amazingly brilliant. Someone who knows more than I will ever know. Someone who is endeavoring to do what 98% of the world will never do. Someone who has sacrificed so very much to get to this point in the first place. You are stronger and have gone farther than you realize. When you set your mind to something, you achieve it. And you will achieve it. You’re not over, you’re in process.

I see someone who cares deeply for our world and for people. Someone who is willing to risk herself to save what is necessary to our well being. Someone who walks the walk and doesn’t just talk the talk. You my friend, are the real deal.

I see someone with amazing compassion for others, great emotional intelligence, empathy, and love for others. You make this world and this community a better place because you are here. I can’t imagine not knowing you now.

Will it take time to find your joy again, fully? Maybe. Here is what I have learned in life - The most successful, happy and content with themselves people (as defined by themselves) are those that take a moment like this and use it to choose their path and rise from what feels like ashes to pursue what means the most to them. They define their goal, plot their course and move out again. You have a mum who is behind you all the way. You have a community and friends here who are behind you and with you all the way. Your cheering section is huge. We love you. Besides, you’re the only person I know who can beat Tally in a science argument. And that does my heart good. Love you!

2 Likes

Hey Docta,

I am so, so sorry that life has thrown this wrench into the works at this near-final step. The anticipation that comes with those final pushes, and extended energy and effort that goes into it, to find a wrench in your gears near the end. I am so sorry, friend. I think it is fully understandable that your personal and physical energy levels are exhausted right now. I don’t know anyone who wouldn’t be.

Now, I have gotten to know you a little bit through our online friendship, work on the wall, and observation of your extra-curricular works for the causes you believe in. And through that, I can put together a few things. Such as you are not worthless, stupid, or pathetic. Nor any of those other negative descriptors that your brain is trying to convince you of during this incredibly stressful time. Our minds love to take advantage of times where we don’t have the energy to apply logic and reason to what it spouts. But hey, even in this incredibly stressful situation, you had the energy to come and post here - so we know you still have some reserves left to push back. You aren’t on empty yet, girl.

All of these negative thoughts piled on when you hit an incredible stressful time. Though its easier said than done, please try to take some time to decompress, process the pain, anger, and hurt that getting set back so close to the end. Please, take time to breath, process, feel. Cuddle that D Bear. She needs ya.

And “…thinking I could ever do anything important.”? Hogarth, you have already done so much that is important. How many people have you lifted up from their darkness with your works here at HS? Your efforts to them could have meant the world to them. You have been published, sharing your intellectual works with the scientific community. Your work is already being added to the giant upon which the next generation will stand on. ((Also, without your works, nerds like me wouldn’t have something to go and explore. We ain’t launching just for the fun of it )) You are bringing attention to immediate issues that people may not know how extreme they are, and speaking truth to power in a very visible way.

All of that is important. And that’s just what I know about. Before 30, that is dang impressive. I can only imagine what other works you have in store for this world.

Though we have not meet in person, I will state without doubt or hesitation - I care about you. And I bet there are a lot of others here who will say the same.

Setbacks seem like they are inevitable in our fields. I have no doubts that you will find the strength to lift your head, step back to the desk, and continue your work. I, and many, many others here, are here to help you every step of the way, when ever you need it. You got this, Docta.

Per Aspera Ad Astra

4 Likes

@dr_hogarth Just an added reminder of love sent your way today. :hrtlegolove:

5 Likes

My goodness my friends. How can I respond to such outpourings of selfless love and concern. I read every word of all your messages and I have tears down my face. And Micro’s picture, it’s so perfect! I call D Bear my Dog of Stars and you’ve created how I see her. Thank you. I can never say thank you enough, to any of you.

I am recovering today. Just going through simple tasks I can do, like sorting out my wardrobe, taking D Bear for a walk, getting groceries. I did sleep for far too long though. I feel very detached from the world, but I think that’s the shock from yesterday; my brain’s just checked out a bit. I did take a lot more Lorazepam than I should of yesterday, which is also probably not helping with feeling spaced out. But, I feel a little more level-headed today and am not having suicidal thoughts anymore.

I have made a meeting with my supervisor for next Monday. I wouldn’t have done that without all the support you’ve given me here. Thank you for reminding me that I’m not as alone as I feel right now. x

4 Likes

I am recovering today. Just going through simple tasks I can do, like sorting out my wardrobe, taking D Bear for a walk, getting groceries. I did sleep for far too long though. I feel very detached from the world, but I think that’s the shock from yesterday; my brain’s just checked out a bit. I did take a lot more Lorazepam than I should of yesterday, which is also probably not helping with feeling spaced out. But, I feel a little more level-headed today and am not having suicidal thoughts anymore.

These are wonderful steps and ways to take care of yourself. Your body surely needs rest, and your mind too. Take it easy for now. One step at a time. And if you don’t feel okay or odd health-wise because of the Lorazepam effects, please make sure to see a doctor, just to be safe. <3

I have made a meeting with my supervisor for next Monday.

So, so very proud of you. I hope this meeting will go as smoothly as possible. Remember that none of what is going to be said there would be about you as a person or about your worth. It’s only about bettering an already solid work, and to keep learning. You got this. <3

1 Like