I wish i was neurotypical

From anabelathecat: Things are very hard for me…
Focusing is the hardest part
I try my best but at school the french teachers don’t understand it
Ive told them about my adhd (which is my challenge) yet they yell at me saying “you NEED to listen” or “you NEED to focus”
And i dont have my meds yet so its hard for me…

1 Like

From aliceisblue: I’m so sorry that your teachers have such a lack of understanding. It is so hurtful that schools and teachers try to make everybody fit into the same mould and think that everyone can learn the exact same way. This isn’t a reflection on you, but a reflection of the lack of mentoring and teaching when it comes to guiding teachers and those in authority about anything that doesn’t fit into their text book.

Oh friend, this is really hard to deal with.

It sounds like your teachers have a real lack of understanding/knowledge when it comes to ADHD and attention deficit disorders in general. Of course, it’s not just a matter of wanting to do something, and it’s not by repeating it that it would happen magically. There is a lot more at play and a lot more to understand. Your brain functions in a way that makes it difficult to focus sometimes or to process information, and it should be a norm to not only understand but facilitate this reality in what you’re learning at school. It sounds like you’ve been unfortunate by dealing with teachers who don’t really get it.

I’m really sorry that you’ve been told those things while there is no doubt that you are doing what you can and put efforts in class. It’s really hard when someone sees you a certain way and expects you to behave according to their perception, without taking in account that there are objective limitations to get there. It’s not in your control, whether or not they are ready to accept this reality.

What they said to you gives this awful message that somehow you should have to adapt to this world rather than having this world being more undersganding and inclusive. It’s definitely understandable that this has been taking a toll on you and making things hard at school. Their words is the kind of reaction that can make you feel really lonely in your struggles and feel even more misunderstood, as if you were almost wrong for struggling in the first place.

I hope you know and can remind yourself if you ever need that none of this is your fault though. ADHD does not make you less of a person, less performant, less capable or less worthy than people who don’t have ADHD. It’s part of what the things you deal with, part of what’s on your own journey, and it’s okay to welcome it as such, without any judgment. Your ADHD definitely doesn’t define you in any way, and I have no doubt that you are competent regardless.

Hopefully, with time and education, your teachers and others’ will understand more and more what it’s like to deal with ADHD. What are the things appropriate to say (or not) in order to support students, rather than making them feel guilty for struggling and relying on medications. You are worthy, loved and enough just as you are. Always!

Thank you for sharing this here, friend. Sending much love your way today.