I work in ems and drinking is normalized ive foe i

This is a topic from YOUTUBE. Reply as normal, and we will post it to the user on YouTube.

Belongs to: BEARTOOTH + HARDY = METAL COUNTRY?! Beartooth - The Better Me feat. HARDY
I work in ems and drinking is normalized. I’ve foe it nearly daily (not when i work) I don’t know why I use it. I do know it makes me numb and helps me sleep (not a good excuse) I love this song and look to it for motivation. That being said I feel stuck so I try to change small things like the gym or a new place to eat. I’m also new to a new state and area with no friends. In today society it seems much less stressful to be alone.

1 Like

Hi @HeartSupport_Fans,

I’m super proud of you being brave of expressing your drinking problems. People have no idea that alcohol is a drug. It’s okay to drink socially but remember to limit yourself due to physical health. I used to drink a lot due to stress from work and school. Drinking did affect my mental health a lot.

I have a back and forth journey of being sober. Sometimes it’s difficult to change a habit. You have to reward yourself when accomplish something small or big. You aren’t alone in this journey. This year I have been sober for 4 months. There are tons of different sports that you can workout besides the gym. Find a sport that you enjoy to exercise. I loved cardio kickboxing & dancing more than HITT.

Living in a new state is kind of hard since you aren’t familiar. That’s totally normal to feel isolated. What are your interests and hobbies that you like to do? You can join a club or group near your area to make friends. Technology has helped others meet new people. You can search up an event that you can do for fun to make new friends.

I think COVID-19 changed the whole world. It made us feel that being alone is okay. However, we can lose those important social skills. We need to talk in order to be happy. I believed that you can make a new friend.

Good Afternoon my friend

Thanks so much for taking time to post here and be vulnerable. I think that is often the hardest part.
You mention in your post that you work EMS and drink quite a bit when it isn’t your day for a shift. You’ve mentioned that you understand the effect this is having on your life but also mentioned feeling stuck. Especially since you’re in a new state with no friends.

First, I appreciate you. I appreciate the hard work you do to save lives and help others. You must deal with heavy topics, hard calls, and haunting experiences. So to some degree, I can understand wanting to be a bit more numb between shifts. Especially without friends to spend time with - I can see the days running together. It seems like it would be easy for it to feel like you were always just working. And if your bored, perhaps your mind wonders. Do you feel burdened by the things you see and the people you help?

Regardless, I don’t blame you and am certainly not judging you for how you’re getting through your days.

I can’t say that I understand the job at all. But I can understand the feeling you identified at the end saying “it seems much les stressful to be alone.” i use to feel the exact same way. No drama. No body to let you down or get your hopes up or hurt you. Life is a lot more predictable when you’re only relying on yourself.

I’m 32 years old. I don’t speak to anyone from highschool or college. I work a remote job in a state i moved to a year ago. Outside of my partner, I didn’t know a single soul in this city and rarely felt the need to go out and meet people.

But my partner did. It was important to her to meet people and to have friends and have a community to rely on.

So, we tried. For the last 6 months. we’ve put ourselves out there. Started a new hobby. Started going to a local gameshop. Started making friends that bike. And I feel so embarrassed. For years I’ve held myself back thinking that I didn’t need friends. When I was younger, people were so much the source of my pain that I had convinced myself that I was better off without them. So much so that I didn’t realize that, yes, I was safer, but also life was less enjoyable.

Could any of these people hurt me, betray me, disappoint me? Sure. Absolutely. But the enjoyment that Ive found being around people again - well I’d take that. Can’t enjoy the highs without the lows. How can I appreciate a sunny day without some clouds here and there.

I hope this little rant made some bit of sense. Really, what Im saying, is that perhaps there’s a loneliness that you’re nursing between shifts, when your mind is allowed to wonder.

I could also be super wrong.

Either way, we’re here for you friend. You deserve to feel a fulfilled and happy life. Im proud of you for making small changes like going to the gym (a journey im also on) as well as trying new food and restaurants.

I think you’re doing fantastic. Just be patient with yourself.

Hold fast <3