I'm at a crossroads

From tankcenturion: I’m numb, I have been before; it ended in wanting to stay alive because I have and keep discovering things I want do but now it’s different.
I can easily slit my throat right now as I could pursue my dreams, but in the spirit of self preservation (which I am not feeling), how do I make myself not want to do the former?

3 Likes

Hello Tankcenturion

I think the answer to these things can be different for different people, because we are all different in how we cope and respond to things. I do however think that sharing what we are going through is a huge step towards figuring it out. I think it’s great that you had and keep discovering new things you want to do. What leads you away from working on these things. Would it be okay if I asked if you have specific things, or changes in your life contributing towards these feelings that are leading you in the opposite direction of your dreams?

1 Like

Hey tankcenturion (awesome name btw!)

Thrice had some great advice, and when it comes to pursuing your dreams, remember, it’s never going to be a situation where you can just teleport yourself into that scenario. The trials, tribulations and the journey helps you learn and build a foundation to where you want to be next.

In your previous situations, did you discover things that were inside or outside of your comfort zone? Sometimes if we haven’t branched into the unknown, getting outside of your comfort zone can definitely be beneficial, and you learn things that you may never have known to exist before hand!

If you haven’t explored it yet, I’d also consider speaking to a therapist as well, as they can actually help guide you to where you need to be. Even when you feel like things are piling on, they can slowly help chip away at the rubble.

Hold fast, you’ve got this!

Hi tankcenturion,

I have been in that situation before. It sometimes hard to find a reason to live. I always think about my family & friends. There are many goals that I want accomplish in life but you need motivation. Dreams can be achieved through hard work. After you are done with that dream, you will get bored for doing nothing. What type of dream did you want to achieve? There is no such thing of a dream that ends. You have to be creative with your goals and dreams. Always reward yourself for reach your goal or dream.

1 Like

Hi Tankcenturion,

I’m sorry to hear about how you have been feeling. I’m glad that you decided to share with us and open up. I commend your vulnerability and honesty.

I have experienced similar feelings in the past when I struggled heavily with my mental health. It is a constant back and forth internally between wanting to give up and wanting to keep going. But it feels like each day gets harder and harder. I found that for myself speaking with someone, a professional, really helped me to work through my feelings in a safe space. I was able to explore the different causes of how I felt and try different techniques, exercises, etc. to help me get better until I found what worked best for me.

Getting to a better place in your mental health truly is a journey and it requires intentionality and hard work. It is an up and down process with good days and bad days. I think that it is great that you have been finding things that you want to do. Some reflective questions would be: what stops you from trying/doing those things. If you have done some of those things, how did you feel after? Did doing them help how you felt at all?

Ultimately, what will help you is something that you have to keep trying to figure out until you find it. Because each person is different. I hope you keep at it, keep trying, and that you are able to find the things that do help. Because you matter and your life matters! :white_heart:

From tankcenturion: thanks everyone, I went out to play basketball and now feel much better
I guess i hadn’t really done things i liked much so i forgot how it felt