Im struggling so much right now i got sober from o

This is a topic from YOUTUBE. Reply as normal, and we will post it to the user on YouTube.

Belongs to: Therapist gets Sober by Tool
I’m struggling so much right now. I got sober from opioids over ten years ago, but something as simple as beer has a hold on me like a young lover. I’m not a greedy person, I only want to know my grandchildren. Damn its hard.

3 Likes

Hey there! First off I want to congratulate you on ten years sober from opioids. You should be very proud of yourself. Substance can be so weird and cruel. But I believe in you, stay strong. And keep bumpin Tool! Music can be so powerful and inspiring

1 Like

hey friend, thank you for opening up about what you’re experiencing with alcohol. substances like that are so easy to fall into a rhythm with. i’m celebrating your huge accomplishment of being 10 years sober from opioids - that is a huge milestone that surely took so much strength to get to. it’s so incredible to have goals like you do of wanting to know and be there for your grandchildren. with the life paths you choose to pursue, i know those kids will be your greatest motivators. i believe in you!

love,
twix

Hi there, thank you for reaching out and sharing with us. First of all, congratulations on getting sober from opioids – that’s incredible and I’m so impressed by these efforts. With that said, it sounds like there’s a lot going on right now and alcohol has become a coping mechanism (or simply an outlet) for that. Not being able to get to know your grandchildren sounds so difficult and I feel for you there. You phrase it well in your comment – what you’re going through is hard and I’m wishing you all the best as you navigate this. Please don’t hesitate to reach out if you’d like to share more; we’re here for you.

1 Like

Hi Friend, thank you for reaching out, that takes courage. Congratulations on staying sober from opioids, that’s no small task and takes constant work and dedication. Struggling with alcohol is a tough battle, but you’ve already made progress by reaching out. I believe in your strength and ability to keep fighting this battle.

1 Like

Thank you so much for sharing about this, friend. The recovery/sobriety road can be so challenging and makes you doubt about your own ability to keep on making the right decisions for yourself. It makes so much sense to still feel highly vulnerable at times, like there is this voice in the background calling you to surrender to old habits. I imagine that, after ten years, it must feel even frustrating to feel like this vulnerability and the urges can seem as raw and deep as when you started to work on your sobriety. From a different perspective, I’ve personally experienced this with eating disorders, and these moments are definitely challenging to the mind. It forces you to be even more kind, patient and compassionate to yourself. As yes, it’s profoundly human to still struggle at times, especially during seasons when you may feel more vulnerable, preoccupied, stressed or hurt. If anything, this fragility that you sense is not indicative of your worth or your strength. Facts speak too: ten years equal 87600 hours spent without taking opiods anymore. That is so freaking huge. It’s many moments trying, resisting and sucessfully responding “no” to this voice within. There is a fierce fire and strength in you my friend, and we are so proud of you here for what you’re accomplishing.