Ive been struggling with food addiction for 10 yea

This is a topic from YOUTUBE. Reply as normal, and we will post it to the user on YouTube.

Belongs to: Therapist gets Sober by Tool
I’ve been struggling with food addiction for 10 years now, and while most people think it’s a joke, it’s the hardest fight I’ve ever fought and still continue to fight. I love this song because it’s really applicable to any kind of addiction, beyond the common ones like drugs or alcohol. Food addiction and binge eating is real and its a struggle every day. Especially when our food is engineered to be addictive. Food companies spend millions each year on research and development on the best ways to trigger the addiction centers of our brain to make us crave more and crave their food specifically…it’s just as nefarious as big tobacco trying to get everyone hooked on nicotine. The problem with food addiction is that we need food to live…try telling a drug addict they have to dose themselves with their drug of choice 3 times a day, but they are responsible for only dosing the correct amount while simultaneously giving them a practically unlimited supply at their fingertips. Anyways, thanks for the reaction, I love that you are so supportive and seem very non-judgmental towards addicts. You acknowledge the internal battle that so many people overlook and blame willpower on…and that is very validating and gives hope that there is a way out. I’m continuing to work on my food addiction, I’ve deleted the delivery apps from my phone, I’ve thrown myself into budgeting so I can not only save money but help fight the urge to buy unnecessary/unhealthy meals. I’m being more mindful with my grocery shopping and making compromises…I would rather buy something slightly less healthy that I know I will eat for a meal, than buy a bunch of veg that I tell myself in the moment that I will definitely eat but then it just sits in my fridge and spoils, I’m much more likely in that moment to binge on something very unhealthy. I’ve been making a lot of salads lately, but last week when I went grocery shopping and was looking at my schedule that week, I knew I wouldn’t have the energy to prep it all, I knew that my ingredients were going to go to waste, so instead I opted for some frozen meals because I knew I would eat those and they would keep me satisfied enough that I wouldn’t break down and binge again. Compromises.

1 Like

Hi @HeartSupport_Fans,

I agreed 100% with your post. I’m super proud of being brave discussing your food addiction for 10 years. I believed food addiction is real so many people are not aware. In the United States, our government doesn’t ban certain food additives. That’s who so many people suffering eating disorder. I feel most food & drink have so much sugar that isn’t healthy for us. Sugar does make food tasty but it can be unhealthy at the same time.

I love the choices that you make by deleted delivery apps from the phone. It can be hard but you have to save money to eat your favorite food. I used to struggle eating healthy. Sometimes you have to eat some junk food once in a while. There is nothing wrong with that. You eat whatever makes you feel comfortable. I recommend buying food that you loved to eat all the time. It took me a long time to love eating vegetables.

Thank you so much for your honesty and vulnerability. Food addiction is real and many people don’t understand it has nothing to do with willpower, because of all the reasons you stated. I think it’s so awesome that you are taking steps to help you break free. I have struggled on and off with food addiction for decades and I completely understand your frustration! When I am in the midst of a struggle I’ve found it helpful to slow down and pay attention to what my mind is saying and how my body is feeling in that moment. Am I actually hungry or am I turning to food for comfort or to numb or distract myself? Whatever the answer is there’s no judgement. It’s simply how I feel. Then I can consider my next step. Can I sit with discomfort for the next few minutes and acknowledge my feelings and thoughts? When I’m paying attention to that I find the urge passes or at least the idea of a binge seems less attractive and necessary. It takes work but it’s worth it. You are already taking healthy effective steps that I applaud you for! Take it one day at a time, one moment at a time and you will overcome this! Give yourself grace and acknowledge the positive steps you are taking. Notice how you feel when you overcome an urge. Congratulate yourself and remember how that victory felt! Every time won’t be perfect but that’s ok! It’s a process, one that will strengthen you and teach you and help you grow in so many ways! You are brave and strong and you are not alone! You’ve got this! I believe in you!

4 Likes

First things first: I’m so, so proud of you.

Thank you for being so open and vulnerable about your struggles and where you are today. Addictions can be such a “taboo” topic in our society, but they thrive in the darkness.

I completely agree with what you’re saying about how our culture really does make us addicted to what we’re eating. Eating disorder recoveries aren’t as you said, something we can go “cold turkey” on, but have to completely reframe our views upon. Our society pushes such warped perceptions of what “healthy” is. So much of my life I felt consumed by anxiety around food and all of the voices in my head that would make me second-guess everything I ate or drank. Now, eating “healthy” isn’t something that is black and white. Truth be told, I still don’t feel as if I have it completely figured out.
The most important encouragement I can give you is to keep going.

Realize that success, just like recovery, is not linear. If you make salad every week, that is a win. If you have frozen meals due to time constraints, that is a win. Right now from what I’ve read, you are winning, and I am beyond proud of you.
There is no shame in your recovery, would we judge a sick person for going to the hospital? Keep celebrating these small wins and recognizing them as that.

I can’t wait to see the incredible progress that is taking place in your life. We are here to support you all along the way. If you need to voice any of your successes, setbacks,
frustrations or anything else, you’re at the right place. Sending you all of my respect and all of my love. <3

3 Likes

You are an absolute inspiration–diligently fighting, making necessary and practical changes, recognizing what might feel like little victories, and compromising where needed to allow room for progress!
Your outlook on how food addiction can be an even deeper struggle is extremely insightful, and sadly others might not take it as seriously as perhaps drug or alcohol addiction since the effects are not as immediate and glaring, which only makes your resolve so much more inspiring!
It definitely feels like the odds are stacked against us in a system that, like you mentioned, is designed to cater to and prey upon our weakness, but I hope you find strength in the daily victories and joy in the process of growth. I wish you the best on your journey–your story will inspire many!

3 Likes