Math Dissapointment

I have always struggled with math ever since I was a kid, and its my kryptonite in my schooling. I am a junior in college and I was struggling in my math class all semester grinding through it. I needed a c on the final and didn’t get one. im disappointed in myself and im afraid to tell my parents because they will be disappointed in me cause can’t pass a math class. im so mad and embarrassed. i have my amazing girlfriend keeping me sane but im losing it. Im also a big abr fan so if theres any music you suggest i listen too, and good music to cry too. Thanks Much Love to this amazing community!

4 Likes

Hi @rpress38. I’m sorry to see you didn’t get the grade you wanted to get. Try not to be too embarrassed about it, and try not to let it get you down- I know that’s easier said than done. There are a lot of people that aren’t too good at math, that’s why a lot of people have personal accountants. And try to remember that even though you aren’t great at math, there’s so many other things that you can do that you are awesome at doing! I hope that you feel better about your grade soon.

~Daisy :heart:

3 Likes

Hey Rpress! I will say first - everyone learns differently, and not everyone KNOWS how they themselves learn best. Do you have the option to take it over the summer? The mini-semesters saved my bacon in college - I would take the hard classes then b/c I can retain info better short term. That doesn’t really help with telling your parents, though. Maybe plan out the conversation and already have a proposed solution? “Hey, wanted to let you know I didn’t make the grade I wanted in this class, but I’ve talked to my school counselor and plan to take it during the summer and am getting connected with a tutor.” - that might give them a good chance to focus on the positive, and it’s great practice for adulting later in life, ha. I would encourage you to look at the big picture and not be too discouraged about this one grade, or about math in general. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea! School is honestly the most difficult thing you’ll do - because you’re expected to excel at EVERYTHING right off the bat. But every experience builds, and even when you don’t get the grade, you learn something. It might take a while, but you’ll grow as you go, and this experience can be a part of your journey.

(also, I’m not sure what music to recommend, sorry!)

3 Likes

Hi @rpress38, I am very glad that you opened to us for what is making you suffer :heart:

First thing,is that I can say, that I have feeling that way, when I was around 18 years old I had to study Fisic and math and I hated both and I couldnt understand anything of what the teacher was saying and when we had the exams and people say that the exams were easy, I would feel like I was a failure.

But I started going to a math academy and slowly I started learning and understanding about math. So my advice would be that try to find academy, or people that can teach you math, if you need help with math,ask for help. Remember all of us have something that we are worst at and good at.

You arent a dissapointment, if you need somenthing, we are here :raised_hands:

Take care :heart:

1 Like

Sorry to hear about your struggles. This past semester was very hard. I don’t know where you live but with the covid going around my school switched to online halfway through the semester and it was extremely difficult, so I can relate. I had a hard time making it through as well.
I don’t want to be one to tell you how to feel, but I am sorry you feel that fear and embarrassment with your parents. I hope you can find a way through that.
Lately I’ve been finding comfort in the ABR song paramount. The lines:

Walking through fire
You have a friend
Stuck in a nightmare
There’s a light to make it end

keep resonating through my head. I hope you can know that these words are true for you. Best of luck. Keep trying. I’m 30 years old and finally getting to my junior year of college because I had similar struggles when I was younger. I can only say that I’m glad I kept trying because it got me to where I am now.

2 Likes