Meds for depression and anxiety

So I’m getting ready for prom and my mom and I were talking about post partum depression. And my mom told me that her co worker went to seek help for her depression and anxiety since my mom knew I suffer from both. And I told her no I’m not going on meds to help me to get over it I feel like the meds would make me a different. What should I do.

1 Like

Hi, Hannah!

Medicine can be scary. And the idea of relying on them at first feels awful. I used to fight it. I hated the idea of them and wanted nothing to do with them. I didn’t want to have to rely on a pill. It made me feel more broken, it made me feel ashamed…

BUT! It’s not true. You don’t have to feel ashamed or broken because you need to take medication. So many people take them. Some that you may not even realize.

I finally gave in and I chose to seek out help. Not only did I find a therapist that worked really great with me but I also found a psychiatrist that I really appreciate. He works with me to find the medications that work best for me and it has been such a huge game changer for me.

Now, it does take time for medication to kick in and start working, and sometimes it takes time finding the right medication for you. So you have to be patient my dear sweet friend. Even when it’s frustrating do not give up hope! It will be so worth it!

I recommend trying it out. You don’t have to share it with other people yet that you are taking them if you don’t want to. But don’t be afraid. Just be honest with your doctor about how you are feeling, be consistent and take it as they tell you to. You have to be consistent if you want it to work.

It seems scary but it really can do wonders. It won’t take away all of your problems, but it’s a little helping hand to help you stay more balanced.

Good luck to you my friend. We’re here rooting for you! Don’t give up hope.

Hey Hannah,

I can understand the fear of medication turning you into a different person. I myself had the same exact fear when looking into medication for my depression and anxiety. In the end, it is important that you do what feels right for you. Everyone is different when it comes to whether or not they feel medication is right for them. I would encourage you to talk to a psychiatrist or your primary care physician if that is the way you would be getting prescribed and just get as much information as possible. In the end, just because you go in and talk about it and get information, doesn’t mean you HAVE to go on medication. So yeah I would get as much information as possible so you can make the decision that feels best for you!

Hold Fast,
Hannah Rhodes