More cutting (tw: self-harm)

last night i was cutting my thighs and got carried away, and i cut my wrist twice and my arm once. And i have school on monday, so ill have to not only hide them from my parents but from everyone at school… I dont know what to do. I wasn’t thinking.

4 Likes

Hey @brokenglass,

Thank you so much for being here. I’m so sorry that you’re in so much pain lately. Self-harm can be a way to deal with some intense emotions, but you don’t deserve any harm, friend. Only lots of love and kindness.

I hear that you feel guilty for what was done, and that makes sense. But from this experience, you’ll learn to find new ways to cope, step by step.

Right now, a first step would be to make sure that you take care of your scars. Did you take the time to clean and disinfect? It’s important to make sure that your wounds can heal properly.

I wasn’t thinking.

Do you think you could identify something that provoked this urge to hurt yourself, before last night? It’s okay if you don’t know. I’m only asking because identifying the reason behind could be yet another step. But sometimes it’s also too hard to know, it just happens. There’s no right or wrong answer. :hrtlegolove:

In the meantime, you’re not alone, friend. I’m sending hugs to you. :hrtlegolove:

2 Likes

I’m glad you have come here to talk about this. I hope that you find the support that you need from here, but also from a source close to you, so you can have a real time confidential discussion with someone who can help.

You mentioned that you were cutting, then “got carried away.” Please consider that any amount of cutting indicates that you have gotten carried away. In other words, with the first cut, you are responding to emotional suffering that you don’t deserve to experience.

“I don’t know what to do.” What would you tell a friend who was cutting?

“I wasn’t thinking.” It might seem that way, but it’s more likely that your thoughts were overwhelmed by your emotions. The difference between not thinking and being emotionally overwhelmed is that a person can feel guilty for not thinking, but not so much for being overwhelmed. If the urge to cut is in any way connected to feelings of guilt, then adding a further perception of guilt will make it even more difficult to avoid being overwhelmed emotionally, which in turn can make it more difficult to stop cutting.

I understand wanting to hide the cutting from your parents and friends. The problem is, you are not getting the help that you need. Try calling 211 and getting a referral. I believe it’s possible for both the emotional strain and the cutting to be resolved.

Stay in touch. I’d like to know how you’re doing.

3 Likes

Hey @brokenglass ,

The HeartSupport Houston team responded to your post here. Hold Fast friend, and lean on our community.

2 Likes

oh, I’m sure you guys do that all the time, but thank you, my parents know about the ones on my arms, the old ones at least, but they just found out recently about some of the ones on my thighs, I’ve already got a therapist, so I’m trying to feel better i guess.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 365 days. New replies are no longer allowed.