Music tastes

So, now that spring is here, it’s time to share a little bit about my personal growth.

Despite progress being slow, my mental health is recovering. Pretty recently, I had yet another unpleasant experience with my dad. Last night, I tried to show him Shop: a pop opera by Jack Stauber, a short-series that I really like. Keep in mind, I rarely talk to him, let alone show him one of my interests. And after watching two of the six parts, he said that “it was really bad”. His reasoning? “The visuals are really bad and out of date, the music isn’t catchy, and the message is too silly”, stuff like that. But earlier that day when I showed my mom the full series, she was really supportive and even liked some parts.

Do you see the difference between my mom’s reaction and my dad’s? Obviously I tried to argue back on why it’s good, but he kept denying it and calling my taste in animated media “bad”. I was not happy after that. But mom came to comfort me and said that I shouldn’t let dad criticize my interests and just enjoy what I like.

In short, I think I handled it pretty well. I really enjoy Stauber’s work and music, especially when it comes to portraying emotions and certain themes. And I’ll continue to enjoy it despite my dad trying to convince me otherwise.

That’s it for now. Keep in eye out for future posts, since I’m taking into consideration hobbies as well.

Goodbye for now,
-Cora

2 Likes

It sucks when you receive such reaction after sharing something that is a part of your own world. It sounds like your dad didn’t see the gesture for what it is. That someohw it’s not about validating or invalidating a taste, not about debating or arguing, but simply sharing a moment together. You surely handled it well. It’s not easy to not takethat kind of thing personally.

All in all, you absolutely have the right to enjoy this music of course! Personally, I like to think that there’s everything for everyone when it comes to personal tastes, and that’s such a beautiful part of sharing the same world. It would be boring to be all the same. :hrtgradientblue:

1 Like

It’s great that you are able to find something to enjoy, and it doesn’t matter if you are the only person in your family that enjoys it. I don’t know Jack Stauber’s work, but I might have to look into it when I have the time.
I’m glad that you are handling the critiques your father has. It does sting when you share something that your passionate about and the person just doesn’t care for it. I see that you’re trying to have a meaningful relationship with your dad, but he either doesn’t recognize that’s what you’re doing or he doesn’t know how to connect back. If you are still trying to improve your relationship, I think that it will take time to find the thing you can relate to each other with.
Hold Fast. You are doing excellent.

1 Like

Hey Cora!

I’m super happy to hear that you’ve made such good progress. I’m proud of you for how far you’ve come so far! It’s amazing what can be done once someone puts their heart into doing what’s best for them.

I read through some of your older posts to get a better idea of what you’re dealing with, especially with your father and can completely understand what seems to be a major source of frustration for you.

On one hand, when I was growing up, I had the same kind of dynamic with my father and consistently butted heads with him. He was very much the “it’s my way or the highway” kind of guy and I thought i’d take him head on. All that did was make things worse for me. When I was younger I got into listening to metal music and became passionate about it (still am and why I’m here today). Both of my parents DID NOT understand it at all. While my mom attempted to understand that I liked it and that’s what made me happy, my dad went as far as to tell me things like “that’s satanic music.” “Your skinny jeans and long hair make you look gay.” Things like that. I went on to starting my own metal band and we did fairly well, playing shows in front of 200+ people often. This kind of opened my dad’s eyes and now that I’m 31, my father and I have an excellent relationship.

What I realized, and what seems apparent that you are understanding to a degree already, is that my father only saw things from his perspective and because his perspective didn’t contain the ability to see from my perspective, what I did made no sense to him. So he, actually trying to be a good dad from his set of tools, tried to help me out through what he learned for HIMSELF.

That said, in my journey to a better state of mental health, I’ve realized a lot of things with this and I rely on the “stoic” pholosphy. Essentially it boils down to the fact that I can’t control other people, I can’t control things or events that happen outside of me. What I can control is how I react and respond to any given situation. To seperate my emotions from events and from how I process them. This has allowed me to, still to this day, deal with people who hate on my passions and not at all be bothered by it.

As a follow up to this, I’d suggest learning about machiavelli. A lot of people think this person’s name, which has really been turned into a term, is a bad thing. It’s not, it’s just that people have applied the methods he set forth in nefarious ways. He wrote a book called, “the prince” which was really a manuel for the heir of the Medici Banking family (wrote it to him when he was a new born). Knowing what world this child was going to walk into, he wrote out ways that outlined how to survive in a world set on ruining him from his birth.

I bring this up because It comes down to self preservation and the preservation of your own happiness. In essence knowing your father, other people, and yourself and playing a game that allows you the maximum benifet (happiness) while minimizing negative experiences and pain.

Keep up your pursuit of digital media and dive into your favorite artists. Try to learn about their journies and how they came to be able to create the art and music you love. I think you may find some pretty interesting stories that could resonate deeply with your own!

Keep up the good work, friend. I’m proud of you!

1 Like