My BEST AND ONLY FRIEND WANTS TO COMMIT SUICIDE WHAT DO I DO

So my friend has been have Suicidal Thoughts lately and im SOOOOO worried abput her can you tell me what i can do to help her

maybe this will help

1 Like

Keep reaching out to her. The most important thing you can do is reassure her that she isn’t alone. That you’re not mad at her for feeling this way. DONT SMOTHER HER. Remind her why she is important but don’t try and force her to change her mind. As hard as that sounds - if you try to make the decision for her she will start to feel worse.

Hold fast
Kayla

Hi friend,

So there are a few things that you can do to let your friend know that you care about them and that you are there for them. But before I say anything I just want to remind you that it is not your job to save them, okay? Suicide is so hard and complicated so please do not put all of the pressure on yourself to save your friend. (I hope that makes sense). Like I said before the best thing to do is to reach out to your friend and tell them that if they ever want to talk that you are there for them and that you care for them. Try starting the conversation with something like, “I’ve been really concerned about you lately”. And if they open up ask them how you can be the best support to them. Overall listen, be sympathetic and offer hope. Do not tell them that you won’t tell anyone because you may have to. If your friend is suicidal their life could be at stake. WIth that being said, if you are very worried for your friend try asking them if they’d consider professional help. And if they don’t and your fear for their life continues to grow it is okay to tell a teacher, parent, any trusted person in your life. I hope this helped. Sending all my love to you and your friend

1 Like

Hey there friend,

As someone who battles chronic suicidal thoughts and who has wanted (and tried) to take their own life, the best thing I can say is be there for you friend. Listen to them. Encourage her to talk about whats going on in her head. Be a shoulder to cry on if necessary. Love her. Remind her that you’re there and shes not alone.
The biggest thing that helped me was persistent friends who stayed by my side no matter how hard I pushed them away (by that I mean….they would repeatedly tell me that they loved me and didn’t want me to go but also gauged it and noticed when enough was an enough but left a lasting impression that they’d always be there, love me, and remember me). That doesn’t work for everyone so the best thing is to just love her. Keep instilling in her that shes loved, valued, and that things go get better.

I hope and pray that she comes through this storm and is stronger, more hopeful, and able to see that her life has purpose.

Love you friend.

Sending hugs and prayers,
Bethy - Team Out of the Ashes

1 Like

Hey @Shadow874,

I’m sorry to hear about your friend! Perhaps you can invite her to the HeartSupport community and/or give her ReWrite and/or Dwarf Planet. Both books can be VERY useful for someone going through a very dark season. In the meantime, emphasize your love toward your friend. The only 2 things that got me through severe depression episodes were knowing that I didn’t want to hurt my friends and family, if something happened to me. Empathize with her so she doesn’t feel so alone. Please keep us updated.

-Eric