My-grandpa-passed-away-in-november-after-a-very-sh - 2599

This is a topic from INSTAGRAM. Reply as normal, and we will post it to the user on Instagram.

Belongs to: https://forum.heartsupport.com/t/41426
My grandpa passed away in November after a very short battle with dementia. In less than 2 years, he went from knowing every detail of my life to not knowing who was standing in front of him. My dad was in and out of my life so Grandpa was the consistent father figure in my life and as I got older my best friend. Because of his memory loss I feel like I didn’t truly get to say goodbye.

1 Like

Oh man this sucks. I imagine it feels like you lost your grandpa twice- when he lost his memory and didn’t know who was in front of him and again when he physically lost his life. That’s hard when it’s the way you lose anyone but for it to be the person that was your best friend and most consistent father figure. Dang that had to be incredibly painful. I imagine there are so many things you wish you could have shared with him to say goodbye but it feels like even the goodbye was robbed from you. Something that has helped me with loss is writing a goodbye letter. Let them know how important they are to you, how they have helped you, give yourself space to apologize and forgive them for anything that may be linger and write down some favorite memories. It won’t take away the pain, but it may ease the sting a bit. Sending you love friend!

1 Like

Hey there @taylor 🫶🏻

I’m truly sorry to hear about your grandpa’s passing and the difficult journey you both went through with his battle against dementia. It’s evident that he played a significant and loving role in your life. Losing someone who was not only a consistent father figure but also your best friend must be incredibly tough. It’s natural to feel that way about not getting a chance to say a proper goodbye. Please know that your feelings are valid, and I’m here to listen and support you during this challenging time. If you ever want to share more or just talk, I’m here for you.

I’m hoping that this means something to you! :hugs: