My grandpa passed away this morning my dad and i s

This is a topic from INSTAGRAM. Reply as normal, and we will post it to the user on Instagram.

Belongs to: Sometimes every day is a struggle can you relate t
my grandpa passed away this morning. my dad and I saw you guys in new orleans thursday. i didn’t know how deeply the lyrics were to fade in/fade out until I experienced them myself. my dad has had that song on repeat all day. i just want to thank you for your music, and this message. i really needed this today

1 Like

Geez…brutal, friend. I’m so sorry for your loss. Crazy that you had this kind of…preparing experience at the concert, and for it to be shared between you and your dad…that’s so unique and almost kind, the timing. To be able to have something that puts words to your CURRENT PAIN, and then to have your dad be someone who gets it too, who is in the pain too, and who shares the same lifeline. That is special. Knowing you have someone to shoulder the pain with you…that can be a uniquely comforting thing.

I lost my grandfather right before covid. He was such a light in our family. The storyteller…he had a million interesting quips, quotes, vinettes, jokes…he never ceased to rally with words and entertain and inspire and delight. I loved him so much. He was such a critical part of my childhood. He loved me and made me feel like family. He felt safe. When he passed, so many mixed emotions. Obviously the bitter and the grief, but the sadness for life we didn’t get to live together. Sadness for opportunities I missed to be with him. Sadness for my kids not getting to know him. The bitterness that now touches all of the sweet memories. It’s such a soup. I struggled with guilt after he died. Feeling like I was carrying a burden of his legacy, or of his expectations, or of his honor. Loss is complex. Time, and talking, are two critical elements that helped me. There were some knots I couldn’t untangle by myself. I had to vocalize the pain to my wife, and she had to tell me that I could let that go instead of continuing to carry it around.

Anyways - I suppose I mean to say: I’m sorry, and I feel you, and I’m thankful you aren’t going through this alone. Thank you for sharing here.