My moms not a good person

i feel as though ive given you all the wrong idea of my mother. my moms a mean drunk who acts like she drinks for me, for my benefit. she acts like its my fault for telling her not to drink and that she needs it to survive or she’ll have a breakdown. my moms not a dependent alcoholic, but once she uses it to cope the first time she wont stop until we have some groundbreaking revelation about how bad it is for her.

we have these talks about why she cant drink and how she traumatized me and i say something that hurts her feelings so she cries and tells me she fucked up and how sorry she is and how she wont drink again and we pretend thats enough for us and then it isnt because she drinks again

shes not always terrible when she drinks, shes not always screaming at me or hurting me or threatening me, but it still hurts when she drinks even if shes not actively being abusive. i expect it every single time and i feel like a fool when nothing happens, like its not valid anymore to be afraid of her.

we ran away from a bad situation together, but that doesnt make her a good person, or a better person. we’ve had another one of these sad hard conversations where i accidentally swear at her and tell her how much she hurt me and she cries and it does nothing because i know she’ll go back to her drink after this and it sucks

i wish she’d choose me over alcohol, like she’d at least think about me. she thinks shes doing me a favor by drinking or else she’d ‘have a mental breakdown’ or ‘be suicidal’ it still hurts when these conversations do nothing, im secretly waiting for them to do something but they never do. i cant fix this.

i wish this was different and that i could pretend my mom was some amazing woman but shes not so great, i have previous posts on here about stuff shes done, maybe you dont think its too bad or anything but you can still check it out if you want stories or whatever. ive had progress, realizing i have two bad parents rather than one. in those previous posts i talk about how my dad helps me, how hes there for me. he wasnt ever there for me, i just didnt know what it looked like for someone to care.

my dads a bad human being and a bad father, so dont give him a break. but dont forget everything my moms done just because she got us out of a bad situation.

i dont know how to fix this, i wish i could, but im just gonna have to accept it. i have 4 more years until i can leave the house, 4 more years for terrible things to happen. im not stupid, i know this isnt the end, shes gonna do something bad again, really bad. and i just have to anticipate it the best i can.

5 Likes

Hello , i dont know if this helps ,but i have dad like that (in some areas )and i unerstand what you feel . Are you ever scared that you’ll become just like them ? Im scared of that .I hope you’ll get your own place to live soon so you have your own peace . I dont know if you even read this but its kinda nice to know Im not alone you know , even as selfish as it sounds , I hope you will find confort with that too . Best wishes :slight_smile:

2 Likes

you’re not alone at all, and its not selfish to want to find people with similar struggles. i do feel scared ill become like them, but im trying my best not to act they way they do. i hope you’re safe right now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

wow , thank you thats really nice of you to say , i hope you’re safe too . We wont be like them , im sure of that :smiley:

1 Like

hey Gracie, gosh I’m so sorry this has been really hard. Having just run from one situation, but then also having this one follow you. How did you go with the medication? Was that at least able to be sorted?
Do you have family on your mum’s side that you’re in contact with? Sometimes there’s only so much we can do alone, and maybe it’s time for someone to reach out and have a chat with your mum about finding support for this. I’m sure this whole situation has also added to her stress and feeling the need to drink. Sometimes it takes someone outside to say “I love you, but something needs to change”. I hope this week provides a bit of relief for you

3 Likes

Hi graciee, I’m so sorry that you’re having so many things to deal with at such a young age. It’s not easy dealing with a parent who drinks heavy. My father drank heavily when I was growing up, but he kept his job and paid the bills. When he was drunk, it wasn’t fun. I can relate. I want you to know that it’s not your responsibility to fix your mother, she has to be the one who makes the decision to get help and follow thru. Perhaps there is a family member you trust who can take you in or help you somehow? Take care. ~Mystrose

4 Likes

Hi Graciee, I am so very sorry that you are stuck in this ongoing situation, just when you think maybe thing are starting to look up they just are not and I understand you wanting to write this because it much be frustrating for people to be congratulating you one a wonderful new life with your mum when you are so unhappy being surrounded by somone who is drunk a lot of the time and using you as an excuse for it. I wish too that she would choose you over drink, you deserve that and I am sorry that she has not. Have you got any other family you can turn to right now, anyone you can rely on to help you get out of this situation and get your mum help? It is not your role in life to fix your parent. I feel for you I really do and please keep leaning on us and whomever else you can to help you get through this. Sending you lots of Love. x

3 Likes

Hello graciee,
so strong to reach out with these struggles you have. It really is hard.
No kid in this world deserves bad parents or behavior like this. Kids should be raised with love and
understanding. You deserve better my friend.
Try to reach out, maybe to family near you. Or close friends that maybe can help you. Get yourself
a safe place, or moments where you find a moment of relief.
Take a deep breath, you can be proud of yourself, you are strong.
I wish a you a nice day, feel hugged and welcomed here anytime you want,
Greetings

3 Likes

Hello again,

One thing that you have to remind in this situation, this isn’t your fault and this isn’t something you have to solve. Your mother needs to find the help that you desire for her. It might be helpful for you to find an adult that you can talk to and get the support that you need through this time in your life. I know from previous posts that there are so many different things going on in your life.

It is obvious that you care about your mother and her well-being. Thank you for coming here, so we can show you love and support you through all of this. You are strong. You are enough. You are valid. You matter.

-StarFox :yellow_heart:

3 Likes

Hey graciee,
I am sorry you are in such a situation. No child should bear the responsibility of having to take care of their parents and then being blamed for their behaviour. It is her job to protect you and keep you safe, not the other way around. I am sorry to say this, but I am also not sure I believe that you can change anything by having conversations with her. If you could change anything by talking to her, it would have already happened. This is not on you though. I guess your mother really needs help. You cannot “fix” her or get her to change. She is an adult and responsible for her own life. I hope you can reach out to someone professional to receive the proper help, or another adult you trust. Be it somebody at school, or a help hotline, or a doctor. Please stay safe and don’t give up.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 365 days. New replies are no longer allowed.