My silence is from my job im a firefighter and a m

This is a topic from YOUTUBE. Reply as normal, and we will post it to the user on YouTube.

Belongs to: Therapist reacts to The Tale of Jenny and Screech by Ren
My silence is from my job. Im a firefighter and a medic with 15 years on the job. Had a call where a car hit a 18 wheeler on the front driver side after dozing off at the wheel. Im tall at 6 foot two but scrawny at 180 pounds so it was my job to crawl into what was left of the car as my partners tried to get her out. I still wake up some nights or just can’t go to sleep seeing her in my dreams. We talked about her kids and anything else in life that made her happy as I held her head still. She didn’t make it out of that car. I know its not the same as the story in this video but that’s my pain. Im in my early 30s now and that was almost 10 years ago. It gets easier but never goes away. I struggled with alcohol for a while after that and still have to be careful around it.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing your situation. I also want to thank you for your service and for doing what you do saving people’s lives. You did everything you could to try and save the women inside that car. I’m sorry to hear about the outcome and the effect it had on you. I’m sure it was a very difficult thing to experience. Please know that I, along with the people at Heart Support are here to listen and support you through anything that you’re going through. Remember that healing takes time.

1 Like

Hi there, thank you for sharing with us. This sounds like such a troubling experience, and it’s understandable that this would stick with you. It sounds like you did a great job and were very empathetic to your patient, and even with that unfortunate outcome.

You’re totally right in saying that these sorts of pains get easier but never go away. I’ve heard a metaphor I like for pains like these. It’s almost like there’s a ball and a button in a box. When the ball rolls over the button, it hurts. But, as time goes on, both the ball and button will get smaller, so it starts hurting less and the pain gets less frequent. With that said, if you do need more support for this pain, please don’t hesitate to reach out to any resources available to you (perhaps through your firehouse). While I know many firehouses are getting better about this, there still can be a culture of emotions being seen as weakness or similar, so I hope you recognize that reaching out, talking to people, and acknowledging your emotions is such a sign of strength – it’s a sign of resilience. So I appreciate you for reaching out and for sharing here.

Thank you for all you do; if you’d like to share more or if there’s any way we can support you, please do reach out. We’re here for you and are wishing you all the best.

1 Like