My therapist told me to cry or get angry for an ho

This is a topic from YOUTUBE. Reply as normal, and we will post it to the user on YouTube.

Belongs to: Therapist reacts to Sick Boi Ren
My therapist told me to cry or get angry for an hour a day and then stop thinking about it. That’s when I gave up but still need help

1 Like

Hi @HeartSupport_Fans,

That’s totally strange thing for a therapist to tell you as a client. Everyone is different when they act emotional. Stop thinking about it doesn’t help the patient. You just made it sounds worse and also I would be frustrated too. I would just leave and search for a different therapist that is trying to support me something difficult. It took me many years to find a perfect therapist. I believed you can find the right therapist that you could be comfortable to ask for help. If you are searching for a new therapist, I recommend calling the staff on which therapist is popular that clients see the most. That’s is how I met my current therapist. Don’t you give up fighting against mental health issue! You are a strong warrior!!!

Hey friend thank you so much for sharing about this particular and maybe upsetting, or at least confusing, experience that you had with this therapist. I understand that this is something that maybe could have been surprising as a suggestion from them at the time and probably not what you are looking for.

From my very humble and personal experience when there is this kind of exercise being encouraged there is behind it there is this idea that you are going to dedicate a specific time during your day to intentionally express and feel emotions that tend to overwhelm and overshadow the rest of your day. So usually the idea is to put some kind of intention behind to make sure that you can have a dedicated space to feel things. Because most of the time, when we have these strong emotions such as grief or anger, we push them away and we keep doing what we do in our daily life without really taking the time to feel what needs to be felt. I believe maybe this is what your therapist at the time was trying to convey to you or was trying to invite you to do, but it’s absolutely okay and actually very positive that you realize that this is not something that functions for you. It is not something that you want, it’s not the type of help that you are looking for.

When it comes to therapy it can be very challenging even sometimes defeating to find the right fit for you both in terms of the right therapist/the right person but also the right type of therapy and the right approach for the struggles that you have. So when you realize that something isn’t for you it feels discouraging at first, but it’s actually a positive thing, and I would like to encourage you to not give up on yourself and not give up on the possibility to receive support in your life, especially in light of this experience. Because what you can take away from this is that this type of help and exercise doesn’t match your needs and that’s okay. It’s okay to explore things and somehow being this process of trying to figure out what you need out of therapy.

One thing I really want to encourage you with is to not give up on the possibility of getting help. You have tried and maybe this experience was not positive but you are still worthy of being helped. You still deserve the support you were looking for, and it may imply to keep actively looking for it.

If you need to support during that process if you need friends or an ear to listen to you, you have a community here at HeartSupport willing to encourage you during this journey. You don’t have to try to figure this out just on your own. I’ve been myself on therapy and had to try different therapies over time… actually right now I am struggling with finding a new one, and I understand personally how difficult this journey can be. Because you need help and most of the time you need help immediately not in x amount of weeks. I understand the frustration and the discouragement and I really want to encourage you to keep trying and to keep looking after the right therapy for you because thid process is worth it. Sharing your voice is worth it and standing up for yourself is worth it. Getting the support that you need is so important.

You matter so very much and I hope that you will manage to find the right help for you and keep welcoming support into your life. Thank you so much for reaching out here. Hold Fast.