Need to vent

i’ve been struggling a lot recently and everyday is harder and harder for me. i woke up today wondering why i was still here and why i didn’t just disappear during the night. my main struggles are school, work, and my home life. with school i feel like everyone around me knows what they want as a career as we’re so close to graduation and i don’t know what i want. i didn’t give my future much thought because i didn’t think i would still be here. i also hate my major but it’s already too late to change it. i don’t even have energy to attend classes or do my assignments and my grades are suffering. work has also been causing me so much stress and i’ve been having panic attacks during my shifts. i also have a hard time remembering simple tasks that i should know how to do (especially since i’m a part of management). i’ve been thinking about leaving my job but i feel so guilty since i do love my coworkers but i can’t do it anymore. my home life also isn’t any better but i can’t afford to move out right now. it just sucks feeling this way and living every day the same with no motivation and just staying in bed all day. i did seek out a therapist and i have an appointment with a psychiatrist soon and i feel proud of myself for doing that. i want to get better but i honestly just feel so hopeless right now.

2 Likes

I completely understand! I’ve had thoughts related to yours, and i’ll agree they definitely don’t feed too well. And to make you feel better, I’m close to graduation and I didn’t know what I wanted to do as a career until recently. Don’t stress over stuff like that. All you need to worry about is the present for now. Trust me, it’ll give you less stress and you’ll feel much healthier mentally. I’m not saying that you should have some time to think about the future, I just think it’ll help for a bit if you just take a break from those thoughts. And for the most part, just some tips for confidence and relief; I definitely think you should listen to music! it may not feel like it, but if you like music it’ll definitely help and you should relax a bit if you feel stressed. Also, you said you wonder why you are still in this world. Maybe try out some affirmations. They help me, but if it doesn’t help for you, that’s completely okay!

If you want to reach out to me for tips, or just to vent some more then I don’t mind if you Pm me!

1 Like

Hi @abyss,

I totally understand how you feel. Don’t be so hard on yourself. Life is challenging each day but remember you need to be positive on yourself. If something makes you stressful, I recommend to relax a little bit. You just got to reward yourself after working and studying. Rewards can sometimes help people motivate to complete task.

After graduation, most people don’t work in the same career as their college degree. It’s okay you don’t know what type of career you want to work in. Most people changed their job multiple of times in their life. Your interests will change as grow older. That’s totally normal. It took me 3-5 years to know what type job that I’m passionate about. Don’t worry about the future. Focus on what you can do in the present!!!

It’s okay to quit job if it gives mental health issues. People quit their job all the time. I remembered that I had to quit my job because it wasn’t interesting for me. No one can forced you to work at a job that you hate. You might feel sad for missing your coworkers but your happiness matters the most!

In college or life, it’s okay to make mistakes and fail. Mistakes can lead to success in life. Sometimes you have to put effort to makes your goals come true. I just have a question for the home life situation. Do you have any closed friends or relatives that you can lived with? It’s kind of expensive in this economy to move out. Some of my friends and cousins had to live with another person to afford their apartment or house.

That’s awesome for you to see a therapist & psychiatrist for mental health issues. I’m super proud of you! Whatever decision you make in your life, I’m always rooting for you. Don’t let depression & anxiety take over your life. Life is always full of mystery and surprises. I always remind myself that life is worth living for.

Hi @abyss

Thank you for sharing with us. School can be so stressful, especially when you feel like you have to decide what you want to do for the rest of your life. I want to remind you to take it easy and let things happen the way they are meant to. In terms of your major, it sucks that you are not enjoying it, but just know that your major will not define the rest of your life; nothing is set in stone. You can experiment with different fields after graduation or find internships to explore your other interests. Especially if you are reaching graduation soon, I want to encourage you to try your best to finish off strong. Try your best to go to class and try to enjoy it.

When it comes to work, I think finding something that you enjoy doing is so important. Maybe taking some time off to try a fun hobby or something that fulfills you will be a good refresh before you start working again. I know you might not want to let your co-workers down, but being better for yourself will also make you a better person for others to be around.

I am also so proud of you for reaching out to a psychiatrist for help. Going out of your way to make this appointment should make you so proud. I am SO proud. This is the first step. The first time I saw a psychiatrist, I was so scared and nervous. A few months later, after starting my medication and healing journey, I am feeling so much better, more motivated, and happy that I noticed something I was unhappy about and did something about it.

I relate to you more than you know, and I completely understand everything you must be feeling right now. Just know that I am here if you need anything. You can always message here or privately <3

Hey @abyss,

It takes a lot of strength to acknowledge that and seek help. You should be proud of yourself for reaching out to a therapist and psychiatrist!

In terms of school, it’s okay not to have your entire career path figured out yet, especially close to graduation. Many people don’t! Talk to your career counselor at school. They can help you explore different options based on your interests and skills. If attending all your classes and doing all the assignments feels overwhelming, talk to your advisor about taking fewer classes. This might give you more time to focus on your mental health and explore career options. While it might seem late, it’s better to be in a major you enjoy than one you hate. Explore if there are minors or electives that interest you within your current major.

You got this!

Hi abyss,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing with us. It sounds like you are currently going through a lot. I’m sorry to hear how you have been feeling. I understand how it can be draining when we are in positions that we don’t enjoy. It feels as though you need to exert twice as much energy to get stuff done.

In regards to your career and your future. I’d like to say that regardless of where other’s are at in their own journey, it is completely okay for you to be unsure about what career path you’d like to pursue. It is okay to explore and take the time to figure that out for yourself. And when you do figure it out, the chances that you will be doing something that you enjoy increase because you went through the trial and error to know exactly what it is that brings you joy and fulfillment.

You have a lot of feelings that are weighing you down and you are currently doing the best that you can to juggle and manage all of your responsibilities. Taking the initiative to set up an appointment with a psychiatrist is proof of this, and I am so proud of you for doing so. I’m also glad that you recognize that and are proud of yourself for making this step as well.

I encourage you to keep holding on to your want and desire for getting better. I hope your session with the psychiatrist goes well and that you find them to be a good fit for you and your journey of healing. :white_heart: